MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I put in the dizzy per instructions (TDC, 1st plug, etc.)

Since I didn't have an exhaust, I decided to take it to the local shop and get a nice magnaflow installed at a nice price. Car sounds nice.

I noticed that the idle was hovering in the 2k rpm zone when cold, and once it warmed up, it dipped to about 1K and slightly lower, then it completely shut down.

I asked the muffler shop, who also does repairs, to see if they can set the timing for me with the light, etc.

They called me and said that they couldn't find the reference to set the degrees because there was no mark on the pulley, etc. Therefore, they couldn't set it. They jumped the wire, etc, per the instruction on their books, but couldn't complete the job.:bsflag:

Either something was wrong with the engine, or they didn't know what they were doing..

Where do I go from here?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Take a look at the crank pulley and make the 3 notches visible, most people use paint or nail polish since it has a nice small brush. The notches are going to be on the inside edge of the pulley.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Whiteout pen :) Most likely they've never dealt with a 4age before. It should be fairly simple to set the timing yourself. Mine idles at 2k when cold, dips down to 1k when warm and stays there. Maybe you have some sort of problem??

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whiteout pen :) Most likely they've never dealt with a 4age before. It should be fairly simple to set the timing yourself. Mine idles at 2k when cold, dips down to 1k when warm and stays there. Maybe you have some sort of problem??
Is that the "normal" range?

·
Registered
267 Posts
Yes that's typical for my 87 mr2 as well. When the car starts and it is very cold out, the initial idle is around 2000 to 2500 rpm. If it is a bit warmer out the initial idle may be around 1800-2000 rom. But the idle will drop in a minute or so as the car warms up, when fully warm mine idles at about 800 rpm.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts