MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there, how's everyone today ? It's a cold windy day in Scotland.

Can anyone help, do you know if you put in a new throttle position sensor where it should be set to ? roughtly same position as it was before or is there a specific setting?

Thanks in anticipation

·
Registered
130 Posts
when i took mine off and put it back on I was just really carefull and marked with a pen where it was(the adjustment screws or whatever they are) and lined it back up with my markings...there is a bgb procedure also that you are going to need to do..but making the markings will at least get you pretty close to start with...sorry if that wasnt much help!

Scott

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey , that does make sense the thing is my boyfriend changed them over a few months ago and only roughly positioned it...DOH!!

I'll check out the guide i think i have it on my computer somewhere!

cheers

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sorry no i don't have the BGB manual - just the factory repair manual - do you know where i can find the bgb procedure?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ahhhh thanks !!!

although this is what i already have.....

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
anyone, know where i can find the procedure in the manual ?????????

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
Ive put the sensor in all sorts of positions on mine and it has always adapted, every time.. and given a solid idle and smooth change over when the throttle opens. As far as I can tell, the adjustment is all toss and innecessary

-Tristan

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
oh well, we're just going to try and see, do you know at all if this has any correlation with the timing belt???

OUr timing is out one notch - any suggestions as to what would make the timinig slip as the belt appears to be in good condition with no wear or tear.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
TRUCKERSGIRL said:
oh well, we're just going to try and see, do you know at all if this has any correlation with the timing belt???

OUr timing is out one notch - any suggestions as to what would make the timinig slip as the belt appears to be in good condition with no wear or tear.
no correlation whatsoever.

Timing belt slip is a funny thing. Ive seen various 3sgtes have various revisions around the timing belt to try and minimise the occurance..

First thing I'd do is pull the tensioner out (you need to in order to correct the timing anyway)... and a) check for fluid coming out of the hole indicating a blown hydraulic seal and b) test its tension via the BGB's instructions. This is probably the most common point of failure

Also, timing belt wear can be hard to see. Even if it looks good on the outside, some cracks are invisible until you take the belt off, reverse it and bend it backward... inspecting each individual notch

-Tristan

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Tritisan - Thanks for that ,

WHen you look at the BGB it seems to tell you to take off a front wheel in order to remove the timing belt this seems odd as the engine is in the rear of the car?? any explanation???

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
TRUCKERSGIRL said:
Tritisan - Thanks for that ,

WHen you look at the BGB it seems to tell you to take off a front wheel in order to remove the timing belt this seems odd as the engine is in the rear of the car?? any explanation???
It definately means the right rear wheel! This needs to come off in order to remove the crank pulley bolt. Maybe the BGB is a little unclear..

-Tristan

1 - 13 of 13 Posts