MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to re-thread the two holes on the transmission case that hold the U-shaped bracket where the front engine mount attaches. Any idea as to what the thread pitch/size is?

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
You're quite welcome. Let us know how it turns out. Are you dropping the tranny to do it? Timeserts or helicoils?

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
RedTuna said:
You're quite welcome. Let us know how it turns out. Are you dropping the tranny to do it? Timeserts or helicoils?
I wasn't planning on dropping the transmission to do it. I'm still debating whether I should attempt this myself or take it somewhere...maybe I should just take it somewhere.

·
Registered
98 Posts
You can tap them to the next larger standard size (7/16-14), and you don't even have to drill first. I did this to mine, and it they hold 60 ft-lbs just fine. Just drop the engine mount to make enough room to get the tap in there.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
greg91t said:
You can tap them to the next larger standard size (7/16-14), and you don't even have to drill first. I did this to mine, and it they hold 60 ft-lbs just fine. Just drop the engine mount to make enough room to get the tap in there.

Woah, awesome advice. I'll try this tomorrow since the threads are pretty messed up on mine. Anything that doesn't require dropping the transmission in order to drill sounds good to me!

·
Registered
98 Posts
I used a standard tap from Sears that worked very well, but don't try to cut all the threads at once - every once in a while back the tap out to let the shavings out to make the cutting easier, and keep them out of the inside of the transmission housing. I was also able to find a 1/4" drive socket that loosely fit the tap, so I could turn it with a rachet and speed things up. Overall though, the metal is pretty soft and it cuts easy, so you don't have to much to worry about.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well my saga continues, looks like one of the bolts had already been oversized to 7/16 by the previous owner and now those threads are crap so I'm going to try to thread it to a 12x1.25. The other hole looks good for the 7/16 tap.

Thanks a ton for the tips and advice greg91T, I appreciate it since I had no idea how to tackle this problem.

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
I know this thread i old, but will 7/16 fit through the mount bracket (the u shaped one), and the slave cylinder without having to drill them out?

I know m12 won't fit.

·
Registered
98 Posts
The only thing I might of had to drill to fit the 7/16 would of been the engine mounting bracket, but nothing else. It was very easy.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts