MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
mr2 mk2 rev 2 na...
clutch went in car so decided to drop all done clutch time belt and water pump.
time belt done, cams and crank 100% bang on

engine back in now, started car and it's turning over ok, but I can hear a slight dip in the revs every few seconds...it's turning over smoothly in one sense but at the same time theirs a slight bounce in the revs

when I rev the car it feals smooth solid and torquey but its creating a bit of smoke, a rich fuel type of smoke.

what's your thoughts on this? I know everyone will probably be saying time belt but it was checked double and triple checked.
vacuum lines are all in place to the best of my knowledge,

is it possible that having done the work I did and having the whole engine out could cause a distributor issue?

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Have you driven yet? Most of your description is on what you feel is happening which may or may not translate to a driving issue. Pay attention to low torque issues.

After installing a new cam belt it is wise to check timing with a light to ensure it’s at 10deg. Make sure you jumper diagnostic port so ECU isn’t advancing timing when checking. Idle should be bang on 750rpm. Also make sure if using a light it is set to correct advance or at 0 deg. This can throw readings to those uninformed ( cough, cough).

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1st off..no I havnt bothered putting up the subframe yet so car not driven....however definitely is n issue with idle rev and smoking to much at rev.

secondly..the ignition/ distribution end of things....could you expand more or this...I know it can be temperamental when you start messing about with distributors..have you any tips/advice on what I should be doing

·
Registered
7,589 Posts
Normally you would not even touch the distributor until cam belt on and engine running to check timing. If you have moved distributor for some reason without match- marking then it could be difficult to diagnosis cam timing. The intake cam drives the distributor so if it’s out by a tooth it will show up when shooting timing light. It is easy to make this mistake as I’ve done it twice myself.

Hope this helps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts