MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a problem with my mk2 91 na the car just doesn't have the power it had and the engine revlimits at 4250 - 4500 rpms i've replaced the coil and the plugs wires cap rotar exhaust system my brothers building a new forced cold air system for the car after i can fix the problem with the car not haveing any power. My main problem is that when i try to heavy ecelarate the car just doesn't move a 63 vw bug beat me of the line not cool the car is just not what it should be i need major help any and all suggestions needed i just want my car to run better than it did i haven't replaced the ignitor i personaly think that it's maf but i can't find any listing for a 91 na maf anywhere that i've looked. If any one can help me i would be so appricietave i couldn't think of a better place to ask this but here

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
It is not hitting the rev limit...something is not functioning properly.

Do a compression test...
Try replacing the ignitor...however you should get a CEL if that is bad.
If the MAP sensor was bad the car would run bad all the time, not just above 4500rpm.

·
Premium Member
13,154 Posts
NA does not have a MAF.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It does run bad it won't rev above the 4500rpm mark. all the time i mean the car is gutless before i could beat my brothers truck off of the line now he tears me up he has a 96 Nissan hard-body again not cool i've been thinking the igniter but its like 300 dollars adn if thats not the problem i'm stuck with another new part with now purpose CEL???

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
Sounds like a clogged catalytic converter is blocking exhaust flow at higher rpms. Happened on one of my cars.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
New exhaust no converter on the car full free flow system and it hits 4500 and the car dies untill it hits 3750 then it'll run back to 4500

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Vitrealx said:
could it be a bad fuel cut defencer or does this car even have one
It would have to have been added by you or a previous owner...AND only applies to a MR2 Turbo.

So...No, not possible. ;)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
the MAP is that sensor in the intake correct? I have a K&N filter right off the ninty bend and I dont even put the MAP in the intake it just sits in the engine bay. I always thought that that was a intake temp sensor

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
that is the air temp sensor your talking about just hanging in the engine bay and if it's not in place that can cause poor fuel millage

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
replaced the ignitor and it still does that rev limit thing changed the cel still doesn't come o unless i hit the 4500 limite i think it could be the nock sensor on th ecar but i'm not entirely sure so i need more suggestions

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Andoman66 said:
the MAP is that sensor in the intake correct? I have a K&N filter right off the ninty bend and I dont even put the MAP in the intake it just sits in the engine bay. I always thought that that was a intake temp sensor
no. that is the intake air temp sensor. the map sensor is on the passenger side rear of the engine compartment, right next to the diagnostic port. it has a vacuum line connected to it.

you really should connect that intake air temp sensor to your intake... its kinda important.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I believe Dijital to be right, I had the same problem in my Accord, new filter, and new injectors because the backfiring managed to kill two of them, and everything's better. Of course, I also advanced the ignition timing and am running 93 octane to compensate, but there's tons of power there now. If it sounds like a 2-stroke, diesel powered weed-eater, it's probably a fuel issue.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts