MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You can call me stupid if you want, but this has always been a dream of mine. I think college would be a perfect time to start learning. I've been researching for years now and all of my research leads me back to the same place every time.

The Kawasaki Ninja 500R.

I keep reading that it's beginner friendly, quick yet not dangerously fast, reliable, durable, fuel efficient, and fun.

Any riders on here care to give me their input? I'm looking to buy a used one sometime next year and then spend more money on good gear. Opinions on other bikes are appreciated, but they should be in the same class and the same type of bike.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
... Kevin, what the hell. Those wheels clearly do not do that Buick Century justice.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
What happened to that list? 4 doors? power everything? LUXURY? a trunk?
last week you were ready to buy that based off it being practical, and a week later you post wanting a bike...

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Okay, so maybe I'm bi-polar.

But wanting a bike was the plan all along no matter what I got.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Please don't get my thread locked. I actually want people's opinions on the BIKE.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Motorcycle Advice

I've been riding since 1993. My first bike was a used 1984 Honda Sabre 700. I sold that bike last year to purchase a used 1988 Honda Magna. This bike has kind of a cult following. http://www.supermagna.com/

I think you are on the right track of purchasing your first bike used. The 500 Ninja is a good first bike, but I wouldn't get anything smaller than a 500cc. Spend the money (about $150.00) and take a MSF sponsored basic rider course. They supply the bike, so you'll be dropping someone else's the first time :)

I enjoy riding on the weekends (when I have the time) and riding to work on a sunny Friday to help finish the work week on a positive note.

Good luck and ride safe!

Ed

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks those are great tips.

What does it feel like to dump a bike? Just out of curiosity.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Taking a Dump

PETC said:
Thanks those are great tips.

What does it feel like to dump a bike? Just out of curiosity.
My first dump was in Denver, Colorado. It was winter, but a sunny day in the 50's. The back tire hit some gravel and I dropped the bike going into of all places a Honda motorcycle dealership. I scratched the right exhaust pipe and broke a mirror. My ego was bruised most of all :p

The most ironic motorcycle drop I saw was a few years ago. A buddy of mine and I got speeding tickets in our car and decided to take traffic school together. We got there at 8 AM and checked in. About 30 minutes later the instructor sent us on a 15 minute break to get coffee. As one of the students was backing out of a parking stall, another student, on a motorcycle, ran into her backend. The guy on the motorcycle had to drop the bike and he went under her car. Poor guy's bike was messed up and he had a bad case of road rash. :mad2

·
Registered
6,579 Posts
I just bought a bike in July(the 6th to be exact). It's been my daily driver ever since. I got the 250R cause it was almost half the price of the 500 and all of 15 Hp less and it has a full fairing. Another thing to look at is speed. The 250 does the 1/4 mile in the high 14's. The 500 more like the high 12's. If I break into the 12's using a bike I don't think my car will be much fun anymore. Just a thought. Also expect to spend a few hundred dollars on gear. Figure more like a grand if this is going to be your only mode of transportation. Helmet, gloves(three sets-above 50/below 50/rain), Jacket, Rain-suit, and during the winter months,my must wear at all times LONG JOHNS. Also the resale value on the 250 is a little bit better than the 500. Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
If you want a sportbike, a ninja 250 or 500 is the way to go. Not an excessive amount of power, but still plenty fast. Some people say not to start on less than a 600... bullcrap. You don't give someone a ferrari for a first car. The jump in hp from a ninja500 to a 600 is from 55hp to 105. Huge. And believe me, the ninjas are fast enough. Think of this as a learning bike... you'll probably drop it, and it'd be far better to start with a funky bike to mess up than a nice one. As people said, get good gear. Sounds like you're going down the right path. If you can find someone to let you take their ninja for a ride after the msf course, do it. You'll be surprised. They're far easier to ride and far more comfortable than most other bikes.

·
Registered
2,861 Posts
PETC said:
You can call me stupid if you want
nope... wanting to start on a ex500/500r = NOT stupid.

Thats a great starter bike. It will serve you well, just respect it and everything else and you will be ok. I started on a cbr600, and ive never had an accident.

·
Registered
2,794 Posts
buy a Hayabusa for a learning bike :thumbup

im joking but it is smart to start off on a smaller displacement bike. I learned on a gixxer 600 though, really fun experience but now I would get something a little less powerful to experiment on.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
sv650 is a v-twin sport bike. Dosen't have nearly as much power as
a 600 4 cylinder, not as gutless a the 500 twins though. It's light weight and has a plenty of torque which makes riding around town easier.
sz650 is a great beginner bike that you can grow with. By no means is it a scary bike to ride.

·
Registered
787 Posts
My first bike was a 1990 EX500...great starter bike.

The 600cc sport bikes today are not beginner bikes. My second bike was a 1992 Yamaha FZR600. The difference between the two was HUGE. Today's 600s put the old FZR to shame and are about as quick as my 1996 Honda CBR900RR.

You can still get into plenty of trouble with the 500. ;)

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah, that's what I'm thinking. lol

Glad to see my research led me to the right place.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts