MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have what seems to be an oil leak and I can not tell where it is coming from. I have recently changed the oil and it is as clear as it can be. However, the oil that is dripping onto the driveway is very thick and black. Does anyone have any clue as to what it may be?

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
could be cv axle grease. your boots probabally out. is it spilling? dripping? or does it happen from driving. also check your inner wheel well if theres that black grease all over, if there is than chances truely are your cv boot is going bad.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
you could put new fluid in your tranny. 3 quarts for the NA 75w-90 24mm bolt. by doing this you can truely confirm if its your tranny or somehow the axles. if the tranny fluid macthes whats leaking then its prob your tranny. also does the oil smell like $!it.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
theres likely only two possiblitys here. its either the tranny is leaking fluid from the seals (old old old fluid due for a change) or somehow the rubber pieaces of your axles by the tranny are worn or cut, roughed up, anything that will make it come out. but to my knowelge i don't seem to remember axle grease leaking if anything it comes out when the axles turn while the car is running. gets on a part of the car then when parked it falls of.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
or the main seal. my main seal got oil every where and i mean everywhere. it would drip from the crossmember and such. well atlest i know my engine bay won't rsut anythime soon.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah, it isn't transmission fluid. The fluid has been changed to redline a couple of weeks ago. Also the seal that meets with the passenger side axle and transmission was replaced at the same time because it was leaking transmission fluid.

Supposedly, the main seal was changed at the time of the swap. But, the belts were also supposedly replaced with the swap but a belt started slipping yesterday. I plan to take off the cover and check if the belts have been changed. If not, I am going to assume that the seals weren't changed either....

I'll also check the distributer shaft seal. Thanks.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.