MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just kidding. I’m really wondering if my cables are the reason I’m popping out of 4th and grinding to the extent I can’t get into 5th gear.
AB8DEF05-0BF9-470A-B3E8-757F9962193F.jpeg

·
Registered
80 Posts
Cables are rarely the cause of gear pop out or grinding. Worn synchros will cause your grind as they are responsible for making the gears match speeds when you shift. Gear pop out is typically either caused by worn bearings or worn shift forks. Worn bearings come from high miles or lack of lube. Worn shift forks are almost always caused by people resting their hands on the gear lever when it's in gear. Bad motor mounts can sometimes cause pop out if they are broken and allow the engine to shift in the bay under power, but it would happen in more gears than just 4th.
In any case, it sounds like your gearbox needs to be rebuilt with fresh bearings, shift forks, and synchros.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cables are rarely the cause of gear pop out or grinding. Worn synchros will cause your grind as they are responsible for making the gears match speeds when you shift. Gear pop out is typically either caused by worn bearings or worn shift forks. Worn bearings come from high miles or lack of lube. Worn shift forks are almost always caused by people resting their hands on the gear lever when it's in gear. Bad motor mounts can sometimes cause pop out if they are broken and allow the engine to shift in the bay under power, but it would happen in more gears than just 4th.
In any case, it sounds like your gearbox needs to be rebuilt with fresh bearings, shift forks, and synchros.
Thanks for that thoughtful and informative answer! I’m thinking shift fork. Looks like I’m pulling the tranny.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts