MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You guys have got to be kidding me. There's no way that the fuel pump is THIS difficult and time consuming to replace.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Uhm...OK? LOL Not sure why you're preaching to the chior.

You always have the option of an inline pump, have been shown to provide plenty of fuel for most upgrades and are much easier to install. Just go with one of those. Contact chicoraceworks at [email protected]

He'll hook you up.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts

·
Registered
2,852 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Does this require me taking my old one out? Because man do I NOT want to do that. Someone please let me know how this works because I don't feel like shooting myself and spilling my blood across america.

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
it is a PITA compared to a honda. it took me about 5 hrs with the engine out. its just time consuming and if you dont have a lift you will have to crawl around on the floor the whole time.

If you do do it I suggest replacing the clutch line and break line above the tank just because your there

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
Those are hard lines. Chances are they'll outlast your car. Don't bother.

Man, it's not that big a deal to replace the pump. It's no lift up the rear seat and have it staring you in the face, but it's still pretty straightforward. Get some tall jackstands, get the car up there, and charge on it.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
its really not that bad at all to do, i have access to a lift which helps alot. just take your time and do things smart i got the tank down and changed the pump out without spilling a drop of gas or getting any on myself. just relax and take a look at what your doing. by far the biggest pain in the ass is getting the heatshields off :) inmo

·
Registered
3,562 Posts
Justin311 said:
Why? Have you ever heard of one failing??

I shoud have stated why..sorry

They are not know to fail. If you live where salt is used alot (chicago=white roads untill spring)it is very common for the line to rust at the rear of the tank/near the engine. when i droped my tank the line was fine above the tank but rusty at the end. I figure spend $15 more now or 10hrs labor down the road. just inspect the lines for rust if its clean dont bother

Trent

·
Registered
28 Posts
I dont know about the brake lines etc, but I would definitely look at your rubber heater hoses. On my 2 they burst somewhere back in there above the tank after I did my engine swap. Now I have to drop the tank just to have my heater back. I've also noticed on my two and several others that the heater line has a tendency to rub on the heat shields behind the tank and could potentially burst.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts