MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so my dome light didnt work when i bought my car. the guy handed me the bulb and said that i needed to get a new one since this one was bad. i figured no biggie ill get one sooner or later. well its 4-5 months later and the other day i decided to go buy replacements. i picked them up at an advanced auto parts store and drove home to install them. i get there and pull off the dome cover and start pushing the light into place. should be a piece of cake right? well as i pushed it in the connection on the passenger side kinda sagged down. i went to push it up again ( that little rivet thing had come down with the surrounding connection ) and it came down. again i pushed it up. again it came down. so i go to pull the light out and the whole pass. side connection comes out! needless to say i cant get it to work. is there a connection replacement kit or do i have to go back to my local junkyard and see if theres a complete assembly sitting around there? if anyone here sells them id be interested. (the interior is black by the way) any help is appreciated!

·
Uninspired user title
612 Posts
The '91-95 4Runners use the same light. Probably easier to find. The coolant reservoir cap is the same as well.

I did the nut-n-bolt thing too. Worked for a while. I'm going to try to solider it.

·
Uninspired user title
612 Posts
scottgas said:
common problem. nice tip about the 4runner
Yeah.. I happen to lean the seat back in my '95 and look up. I said 'damn, that's the same light I've been trying to fix...' I took it out and it is a direct replacement.

If you go out to a junkyard, instead of boning up on your 4Runner knowledge, they were the last ones with chrome front and rear bumpers and the ones without the flaring wheel wells. I'd also hazard a guess that the light is common in their other older trucks and compact cars. they just have that look to them.

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks for the tips. ill have to head over to the yard and pick up the part. im gonna wait till after ernesto passes. i hope nothin happens to my MKI :( i have it under a car port.

·
Registered
973 Posts
I'm not really proud of this, but if you take that rivet out, and take two twist ties, and put them through the holes, and twist them together so that they hold up the metal piece, and provide electrical contact, your domelight should work again.
*you have to take the plastic off the twist ties, actually welding wire or bailing wire would work better*

·
Registered
9,204 Posts
I tried solder with no luck. i think I finally used some of that 2 part clear epoxy that comes in the little packet. Had to make sure there was contact though before it dried. PITA

·
Uninspired user title
612 Posts
IMO, rather than get raped on the outragious shipping that most of eBay is seems to be doing ($11 for that light? Gimme a fricking break - more like $6.50 UPS plus maybe $1 for a box... cheaper with USPS and a free box) I'd prefer to get raped by a dealer for a new piece I know works. That light can't be more then $20 new.

·
Registered
501 Posts
Man i had this problem, first took out light it was burnt out, replace light, doesnt work, replace fuse, doesnt work, replace whole light assembly...still nothing...i must have a break in the wire somewhere...but screw looking for a needle in the haystack for a fricken dome light

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
Keep in mind that the screws that mount the dome light also ground the unit to work in the on position. Also if you door switch is bad the door position won't work as well...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts