MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 149 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally started my swap last weekend. I do not have much done on it yet but i feel I am off to a good start. First off my goal is to fit a 1uzfe mated to an audi 012 transmission n/s into my mr2. My plan instead of cutting into the firewall to fit the v8 in is to move the rear suspension 1 foot backwards. So I have cut out the old suspension and a lot of the original frame and have now began building the new frame.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

Now keep in mind there is a lot more bracing that will be added, and the angle iron you see is not how it is going to stay. I am going to add a lot more angle iron to the joints to help put stress on other parts of the original frame and not all on one spot of the frame. Then I will add sheet metal around all the angle iron to make it neater looking. As you see in the motor pic. the motor is attached to an E153. I was going to try the east west thing but i really wanted north south. If anyone is interested in buying the adapterplate let me know. This weekend I will take the motor and other transmission to my machine shop and they will begin working on the new adapterplate for me so I can began to mark out where the new suspension is going to go and cut out the new wheel wells. So the wheels will be damn near the end of the back bumper. So there will be some body work to follow this swap.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wanted to keep a toyota heart. I know its not the highest hp v8 but i wanted to keep it toyota. Plus I have a spare turbo and accel standalone laying around from when I did the turbo 3vz v6 swap. So those might find its way on there some how.

G

·
Are you going to extend the body also or just move the wheel wells? This is sounding a bit like an MCR8?

Edit: This is an aggressive project, you must have balls of steel. Will be very interesting to watch.

·
Registered
677 Posts
This is the same setup i've been dreaming about doing forever (but i was going to put mine through the firewall and keep the stock body). Can't wait to see your progress.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
Awesome. 100% subscribed, we know the audi v8 route would have been a lot easier for you with a lot less cutting/fab work plus it mates straight to the audi trans but hats off to you for sticking to the 1uz.

Presuming you will be moving the wheel arch panels back as well?

Welcome to the most exclusive Mr2 brotherhood on the net :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I would love to make a replica of the mcr8 but that would be way to much customizing. I would have to redo the entire front suspension and if i was going to do that i would want to make this thing all wheel drive. But no I am not going to extend the rear of the car, I am only moving the rear wheels and suspension back.

as for the body, I am either going to go a replica route and put a dave jones gtf kit on it as seen on mr2kits.co.uk which i would have to cut new wheel wells for that or I am going to go my own custom route and do something interesting and still kinda keep the look of the mr2. Maybe something like this quick rendition I drew up in paint

real picture for comparing

Tell me what you think. I am up for any Ideas.

Thanks for all of the kind words. Mr Woods you should be just about done with yours right? How much longer do you have? I might not have another up date for a few weeks because I will be waiting on my adapter plate to be made.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
justinswidebody said:
Tell me what you think. I am up for any Ideas.
I think the short rear overhang works really well, visually. Gives it a nice aggressive stance. I wouldn't have guessed that stock body length with an increased wheelbase would flow but your quick drawing shows lots of promise IMHO. Definitely want to keep that design feature.

-Stephen M

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I agree Stephen. When comparing it to the real picture it makes the real picture look like a micro machine or something . I think I am going to stick with mr2 body to keep everything with a toyota attitude. I dont need the car being something its not.

·
Rocket Scientist
1,698 Posts
Looking at the side vent, I'm thinking a single, deep vent with a vertical edge and a top line that follows the shoulder of the wide body kit might work a little better than the twin vent you sketched up. But I can't sketch the image in my head so you'll have to visualize it on your own. :)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Figured I would throw one last one up for you Stephen, Let me know what you think? This one is one scoop with a little more rounded top corner

Motor and trans will be going off to my Machine friend tomorrow. I have to wait for Monday so I can get some more gas for the welder. So for now I am kind of on a stand still for the weekend. Should have some more updated by next weekend = )

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Just a quick question, why not the 3uz? Still has an aluminum block. Too expensive, or you just had the 1uz?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Already had the 1uz laying around with the full wiring harness and ecu. When the 3uz gets a little older i'm sure i might pick one up and throw it in there. until then this will be my trial run

·
Registered
9,223 Posts
Forget the turbo. Go big bore stroker ITB n/a monster when you get the $.
Nice work. Cool project. I would never have the balls to take on something like this. :thumbup

1 - 20 of 149 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.