MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

The Search Has Ended !

1K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  eurocarracer 
#1 · (Edited)
The Search Has Ended...

A Simple Yet Useful Guide To Those FAQ's MKII (3SGTE)
Written By : Legends702 ( 91 MR2T )
Compiled By : www.MR2OC.com

Under Construction
please feel free to add to the list, email Legends702@hotmail.com or post on this thread, will update the .txt file also.
now when someone asks a question that hits the board every day just tell them to search for the search has ended =].
please no dos and don'ts

spark plugs and spark plug gaps:
suggested spark plugs:
NGK-BKR7E (6097) aka NGK-BKR7E-11 (1283)​
suggested spark plug gap:
.028 (inches) for higher than stock boost applications​
.030 for stock boost​
how to gap spark plugs:
goto autozone or your local parts store and buy a spark plug gapper for $0.99 and then tap the end
of the spark plugs not to soft not to hard, now start the gapper off from zero and ring the tip of the plug
around the gapper till you get the right settings.​
suggested spark plug wires:
stock toyota wires, part number 90919-21485​

exhausts by company and piping size for MR2:
http://www.madpsi.net/MR2ExhaustsPage.htm

tire sizes:
staggered tire sizes are recommended for the mr2 suggested sizes see this link for some helpful info.
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=137

91' MR2 BGB manual vol. 1 & 2:
http://www.mr2-tech.com/bgb/mechanical/index_mechanical.htm

Good guide on building horsepower from the ground up. Slapping on a turbo the size of my head is not the answer!!
http://www.mrcontrols.com/primers/power.htm#link1

Boost, Boost Tempatures, and some other good info to know:
http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=49

---------
let's also try to get some engine info and links up by engine gen, the common problems for 91 - 92 was a good link, i dont remeber where it was though.

See less See more
#2 ·
Posible Sticky?

#3 ·
SrADavidson said:
Posible Sticky?
umm -- if this was removed i'd suggest it

spark plugs and spark plug gaps:
suggested spark plugs:
NGK-BKR7E (6097) aka NGK-BKR7E-11 (1283)
suggested spark plug gap:
.028 (inches) for higher than stock boost applications
.030 for stock boost

IMO for 99% of owners out there STOCK PLUGS and STOCK GAP are perfectly fine...... customers arrive: "the board says these plugs.. so i did it... says this whatever so i did it... etc" customers leave: "wow -- feels like i have a NEW car!!! soo much more power!!"

eeeehhh -- but what did TOYOTA know when they built these things -- stoopid japs........ **(sarcasm -- not intended to offend my 'rising sun' friends ;) )

#4 ·
mister3 said:
eeeehhh -- but what did TOYOTA know when they built these things
Dont forget toyota built these things to run on 7-11psi Not 15+. I once read a that explained why it was better to go one step colder plugs. Ill see if I can find it.

#5 · (Edited)
SrADavidson said:
Dont forget toyota built these things to run on 7-11psi Not 15+. I once read a that explained why it was better to go one step colder plugs. Ill see if I can find it.
umm -- i have run 20 psi on a stock engine and GReddy TD06 turbo kit using OEM denso plugs set at the factory gap for 2 years.... same set of plugs-- good enough for 12.5 sec 1/4 mi passes @ 115mph.........

sooo -- when are colder plugs needed to make my car run crappier and SLOWER?
PS -- IMO 99% of board members run slower than 12.5 and run less than 20psi boost -- sooo -- IMO OEM denso plugs are perfectly fine and the best choice

#8 ·
gonna try to get more useful links here, lets keep it simple and try to keep the flames down, im just going by what is recommended by most of the guys on the boards, if someone asks questions about plugs thats the answer they usually get, but preference is preference

#9 ·
Legends702 said:
gonna try to get more useful links here, lets keep it simple and try to keep the flames down, im just going by what is recommended by most of the guys on the boards, if someone asks questions about plugs thats the answer they usually get, but preference is preference
i'm not trying to flame -- trying to inform as to what does work better VS what also works but not as well or reliably -- the NGK plugs work -- but don't offer near the performance of the OEM plugs or longevity

preference is preference but what works may be different -- i just hate when the folks on the internet post "all knowing FACT" when IMO and the opinion of alot of others the OEM plugs are sufficient for 300whp or less MR2s -- i haven't tried to use them over 300WHP so can't comment on their abilities in that range -- but i do know for a fact that the OEM plugs perform lightyears better than aftermarket plugs at whatever gap "the board" recommends

#10 ·
Yeah I was just trying to point out that coppers aren't necessarily good for everyone. The performance gains are dubious over a set of new OEM plugs and they have to replaced about 10 times (or more) before you would replace a set of platinums.

#11 ·
Ozymandias said:
Yeah I was just trying to point out that coppers aren't necessarily good for everyone. The performance gains are dubious over a set of new OEM plugs and they have to replaced about 10 times (or more) before you would replace a set of platinums.
hehe -- speaking of replacing the plugs -- i just swapped a set for a customer which had been run for 4 years! considering how long they were in there they were in pretty good shape still.......

#13 ·
hehe -- speaking of replacing the plugs -- i just swapped a set for a customer which had been run for 4 years! considering how long they were in there they were in pretty good shape still.......
Well, my timing belt cover says replace every 60k miles. If you use the average of 12k per year, that's 5 years. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.