MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Anyone using a barrel air-to-water intercooler?

http://www.pwr-performance.com/intercooler.htm

At the bottom of the page there's a kit for $935 that has the 6" barrel, heat exchanger, electric pump, etc.

I know the ST205 air-to-water IC is ideal, but considering the limited space in our engine bay, this seems like the perfect alternative. The ST205 piping has to be modified, and I'd hate to track down a replacement Toyota electric pump if it fails.

This kit would offer the least mount of piping with a straight shot from the turbo outlet to the TB inlet. Also, since the heat exchanger is far smaller than the ST205 heat exchanger, you could mount the exchanger in the stock intercooler's location.

Anyone who's using a custom, NON ST205 w2a IC please chime in.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
"I'd hate to track down a replacement Toyota electric pump if it fails"

I had no intention of using a toyota pump :) You can buy an uprated lotus esprite one in the US for $125 - this is what I actually imported to the UK for mine and we got the St205 celica's over here anyway

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Water-to-Air Intercoolers are no longer allowed in the NHRA SP/RWD class (as of this year) ... unless they are an OEM unit.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
No clue ... but they did say you can have nitrous or CO2 in there instead of water and that IS okay ... BUT it counts as a power adder so you have more of a weight penalty.

M

·
0 Posts
JekylandHyde said:
No clue ... but they did say you can have nitrous or CO2 in there instead of water and that IS okay ... BUT it counts as a power adder so you have more of a weight penalty.
are you sure they are not talking about water sprayers and not air to water intercoolers. Many drag cars run air to water, i dont see this happening, if so that sucks

·
Registered
737 Posts
I don't really care bout those kind of rules. I am a street car guy that runs at the track every once in a while. I have the big PWR intercooler. It has worked great. It has a little bit more of a pressure drop than the Spearco that is close to the equivalent, but I get very consistent intake temps with no heat soak. It would be cheaper to piece your own kit together as well. I mounted my exchanger in the front. I call it my front mount interfooler... ha ha. Anyway, It seems to be a good product.

Tad

·
Registered
6,256 Posts
perfect solution imo would be a top-mount tube/fin type core mounted on the left side of the bay. main reason why: it's AWAY from the downpipe. the border racing intercooler kit comes to mind. :)

·
Registered
27,751 Posts

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
SO the rule say, if you use water in the a2w ic, it is fine!?!?

"OEM liquid intercooler permitted only if OEM engine and OEM power adder is used"

Ambigious rule realy.....can mean anything.

T

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
It sounds they will allow a2w as long as you use water as the cooling medium. It is only when you use c02 or NOS as a cooling medium, it will be counted as a power adder....now why anyone will do that when they can use ice in the resorvoir, is beyond me...

T

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Tom , they mean you can use water-to-air if it is OEM ... if you have a stock water-to-air (like the celicas have).

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
Wow Jekyl that is a wierd rule! It wouldnt be so bad however if MR2s didnt have such an obvious advantage lol (engine being where it is). But I still think that making money less of an object in lower classes (no hinting or anything J&K ;)) makes it more fun and more about driving and making the most out of what you have, instead of who has the most money.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts