MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Anyone got a white NA? If so, you will know the pain in the ass of cleaning the rain guard, under the vents of the engine lid. Unlike the Turbo model, which allows you to unbolt the rain guard, the NA's rain guard is all one piece with the engine lid. A rare piece of bad engineering from Toyota.

This has always been annoying, as it's always dirty down there, but as I'm painting my car, I need to be able to get in there. And I can't. So I have questions:

Can I just cut the thing off, then fabricate brackets so I can bolt it back on?

Does it even really need to go back on? Surely your engine gets pretty soaked driving in a downpour. There's a hole in the guard over the alternator fer pete's sake. What exactly is this thing protecting?

Alternatively, anyone got a Turbo engine lid for sale?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Sure, if you're up for it

Does it even really need to go back on? Surely your engine gets pretty soaked driving in a downpour. There's a hole in the guard over the alternator fer pete's sake. What exactly is this thing protecting?
Depends on how often it rains, whether its stored in covered parking, etc. It's not as big of a deal while driving, it's more for getting parked in the rain. It protects the electronics mostly, like the distributor and spark plugs. Guy I know with a vented hood on a 240sx ended up having low compression on one or two cylinders because it sat in the rain and oxidized the plug threads. Yes, on an aluminum head.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, good info. As of now, it's stored outside, so gets rained on quite a bit. Sounds like a bad option to just remove it, so I will see about fabricating some brackets to make it removable.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Hi all,

Anyone got a white NA? If so, you will know the pain in the ass of cleaning the rain guard, under the vents of the engine lid. Unlike the Turbo model, which allows you to unbolt the rain guard, the NA's rain guard is all one piece with the engine lid. A rare piece of bad engineering from Toyota.

This has always been annoying, as it's always dirty down there, but as I'm painting my car, I need to be able to get in there. And I can't. So I have questions:

Alternatively, anyone got a Turbo engine lid for sale?
I don't have a white one, it's red but I used a pressure washer to clear out all the visible dirt from lower panel then I just keep on top of it by wiping in there with a cloth every wash.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I do that too and it's been an okay solution, but the bigger problem is I'm painting it and there's no way to get a consistent spray gun fan in that space.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts