MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
1991 mr2 automatic non turbo
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know this late in life where I can get a harmonic balancer for a 1991 automatic mr2 base model stock with ac or can someone tell me a substitute one ie from Camry or celiac or even a (model t I don’t discriminate lol thank you )

·
Registered
4,577 Posts
Aftermarket balances are avail from two different companies. Retail is $400 to $500. Titan and I cannot remember the other company. Search my username I’ve posted this before.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just got in touch with titan nothing for 5s-fe thanks I hope my road to a new harmonic balancer helps others in the future I may try one for a Camry next week

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,613 Posts
The MR2 part number doesn't cross over to any other 5sfe powered Toyotas. But the difference might only be where TDC is marked on the pulley. That would be easy to fix. Whether or not the other balancers are set up for belts with the same # of ribs as the MR2 is the big question. Looks like the Camry/Celica balancer from 87-93 is 3 rib inner belt and 5 rib outer, for example.

Pretty sure the MK2na is the same as the turbo - uses 4 rib belts for both AC and alternator.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are correct the ribs are the difference and I can live with that but the space between the timing chain cover and the harmonic balance may be the deciding factorAnd it’s only temporary until I can rebuild the original one if it’s not damaged pulling it out thanks for the reply

·
Administrator
91t gen5
7,230 Posts
5sfe and 3sgte MR2 balancers are the same part number. A PO chipped the one that came on my car by using a 3 jaw puller. If you didnt already know use the threaded holes in the balancer and a puller to remove it.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok great if you find it I’ll take it . I wonder why others have not had this problem the car is driven by my wife who is that person who drives 40 with a crowd behind her and yet the balancer separates hmmm 🤔

1 - 20 of 35 Posts