MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About a few weeks ago, i noticed that my temperarure gague goes over normal almost constantly now. Normal is a little below half point? Well, sometimes it goes over half way point. And even occasionally it will go a little higher, but that is it. I have checked my coolant and am currently full. I have done a coolant flush a couple of months ago. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Registered
881 Posts
Is the temperature correct until you push it, or does it level out above normal?Have you considered looking at the thermostat?

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it starts off at normal, then when it fully warms up, it will go above normal. I haven't checked the thermostat, maybe that could be bad?

·
Registered
881 Posts
Overheating

Sure, the thermostat is definitely a possibility, and relatively easy to fix. BTW, how many miles on your engine or rebuild?

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts
You can also check the radiator for debris, bugs, and bent fins that can be preventing air from passing through the radiator. Do the radiator fan and engine bay fan turn on when the temperature starts to rise?

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Also, another thing to think of is the cat. How old is the catalytic converter?

~C.C.~

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have 180k on the original engine, I haven't checked if the fans turn on or not ( i will check tomorrow), and my cat is just 4 months old.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts