MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm very much interested in the combination of the Flex coil overs and EDFC made by Tein. For those that are not familiar with either of these, a quick summary:

Flex coilovers - 16 level adjustable damping force coilovers

EDFC - Electronic Damping Force Controller, allows computerized control of damping force from driver's seat

Now, on their website they say that they have both coilovers and an EDFC that are compatible with the MkII MR2. However, in the vehicle compatibility chart I see conflicting information.

http://www.tein.com/edfc-fit.html

My question is does anyone have these coilovers on their car? ... and if so, have you installed an EDFC or does there seem to be ample room above the tips of the coilovers to install the motors?

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
As an authorized Tein distributer I know for a fact that the Tein FLEX for the MKII MR2 will work with the EDFC. I get this question a lot and also get reffered to this page a lot, people just have a hard time understanding the chart. In the MR2 row, under the models that will not work with the EDFC it says "Not Compatiable with EDFC" under the FLEX column it has a part number, that part number is the EDFC part number that is compatible with the model. The notes on the very right just explain why the ones that are listed as not compatible aren't compatible.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I thought the columns on the far right applied to ALL the motors for the EDFC. Thanks a lot! =)

Now, if only you were a bit further north. =\ I'm always looking for new parts dealers.

EDIT: nevermind, I just realized you said "distributor" not dealer.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm actually about 6 hours north. I think whatever you could save me in initial price over my local dealer would quickly get eaten up in shipping. It's cool though, I'll keep ya in mind for hard to find stuff. The guys I usually go to mainly deal in hotrod parts and engine/drivetrain internals.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks will.

The cheapest I've been able to find the coilovers is about $1600 including shipping. The EDFC is about $350. So total you're looking at just under $2000.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
how is the ride with the flex, i'm actually considering these as well.

·
Registered
8,098 Posts
The ride with FLEX is the same as HAs, they're pretty stiff compared to stock, even at their lowest setting. But I think they're bearable.

T

·
0 Posts
The Flex's will work with the EDFC on the MR2. I had the setup and only 1 thing is required to make them fit. You must but a small piece out of the 2 engine lid side pieces. You cannot see it when the engine lid is closed, but if you purchase the setup you will see what i mean. The FLEX's are bearable as long as you dont go to a school that has a bus route with huge potholes all over the road :). If you want a street/race setup...you wont regret the Flex's.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
cool, but the big question is... would a girlfriend complain about the ride?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Mine girl doesn't mind and she has back problems. She also likes my apexi gt exhaust without the silencer, she has never said it's too loud.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
awesome.... thanks for the info guys.

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
that is very true.

·
Registered
153 Posts
it is a simple stepper motor that allows you to adjust the damper settings. It does not adjust the ride height. The only good source for adjustable ride height is air ride. For preformance setups this does not normally work good but there is a new company praxissystems.com i think that has a setup for WRX's. Also DOM from the UK managed to get a good air ride setup. But his cost him approximately 10k

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Thanks for the reply. That's exactly what I thought it did. I was just making sure. How is the ride on the road with it as loose as possible?

1 - 20 of 28 Posts