MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ontario's first MK1.5,'05
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anybody using their upper hat set-up? I'm thinking this could help with my cusco strut top rattles? Anyone have any experience with these?

Martin

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Yes. I use that exact same set up on my 87 n/a. There will be binding between the hat and the camber plate due to the fact that if you turn over the camber plate the section that spherical bearing is in is the same diameter as the upper hat bearing diameter, so the outer aluminum section of the spherical bearing will rub on the outer aluminum hat part, bypassing the upper hat bearing altogether. I hope I didnt lose you.

The trick to freeing up all the bind between the hat and the camber plate is to fit a washer with the outer diameter as the inner diameter of the camber plate spherical bearing. If you have or have ordered a Ground Control coilover kit, in the baggy that the stickers and allen wrench come in are four metal washers, these washers are the exact size that will work, so the set up gous like this:

-GC coilover sleeve
-Spring
-T3 upper bearing hat assy.
-GC little baggy washer.
-T3 camber plate.

Oh yeah, do not over tighten the camber plate strut tower bolts, they are not grade 8 and will break easily. Never fear though, T3 uses 1/2 bolts and they are threaded through the camber plate and not pressed in like most JDM camber plates. Now as for why they use 1/2 bolts...I dont know. BTW, im not sure waht Gabe did but there are no rattling going on with this setup...

I hope I didnt lose you anywhere. Ill stop rambling now.

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
this is how i have it now. The coilovers are custom sleves, hats from Bicknell racing. The problem that i see on mine is the hat sits too low. That washer below it should sit a little higher. I think it's a washer issue. This on the left side. The right front sits at the right hight with no rattles.

Maybe i should get the "baggy" from Ground Control? I don't have any detail pics of the full coil over set-up right now.

Martin

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
Martin said:
Maybe i should get the "baggy" from Ground Control? I don't have any detail pics of the full coil over set-up right now.

Martin
nah. Id just call GC and ask them what size the washer is that comes in the bag with the MKI coilover kit. Im not sure what the difference between the T3 and Cusco plates are so there might be a size issue with the washer, but washers are cheap.

·
Registered
918 Posts
verno-dub said:
-GC coilover sleeve
-Spring
-T3 upper bearing hat assy.
-GC little baggy washer.
-T3 camber plate.

You have T3 Camber Plates? Is this on AW11?

G.Tyler's site doesn't have anything for AW11.

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
randedge said:
You have T3 Camber Plates? Is this on AW11?

G.Tyler's site doesn't have anything for AW11.
Yes. Just call Gabe up directly. Gia (his wife)told me that they havent updated the site in forever..

·
5,126 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
be carefull if you will be buying the "upper hat" kit for coilovers. I bought it for $50 and the center hole was way too big. I mentioned it was for an 89 mr2. After i let him know it was too big, he said that he though all toyotas from those years has the same diameter shocks.

He told me he would make me the proper ones. Have not heard back. Gave up on it and bought the D2's.

Martin

1 - 7 of 7 Posts