MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
posted by RickyB
I set up a section on my web site with detailed instructions on how to install a TEC3 EMS on an MR2 Turbo. I hope it will be of value to the MR2 community.
posted by RickyB
Engine is running very nicely now. About the only drivability difference I notice from the stock ECU is a slight wobble on idle under some conditions (mid-warmup phase). I'm playing with it, but I've been told that the idle is about the hardest thing to get completely right. I have not yet taken it to the dyno for a power tune because I need to change out my clutch which has started to slip. If you are ever out my way, I'll be happy to show the car and take you for a ride.
posted by zerofriction
Are you saying I can't run my 850cc injectors with just a crank sensor??? Can you tell me the reason for this???
posted by RickyB
You might be able to but you will be pig-rich at idle. Two minimum duration (1.2-1.3ms) bursts of those large 850cc injectors at an idle fuel pressure of 28-32psi per power stroke will put you at an 10.5:1 AFR or richer. It will idle, but you'll never pass a sniffer test in any state.
posted by alza
How much is a tec 3?
posted by RickyB
Depending on your dealer and sales taxes you are probably looking at $2600 for the unit, unterminated harness, DFUs, sensors, plug wires and crank trigger kit. You only need a crank trigger and MAT sensor to run the car with the TEC3 but I also recommend getting the 3-bar MAP sensor since you will probably boost over 18psi someday (intentionally or otherwise). You don't need the power harness or the idle speed control. All the other stock sensors work great. After the installation you can sell your ECU, AFM and distributor to recoup a little lucre. It's still a lot cheaper than a performance rebuild on a blown engine.
posted by 1badaw11
Hmmm. We have a TEC II controlled Supra running 1100cc injectors at a base pressure of 50psi and achieving a nice smooth idle in the 13's was not difficult. 14's would probably be possible but 13's were good enough for the owner...

1 - 2 of 2 Posts