MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Anyone know what size an fitting will fit the td06 oil feed?

Also, will the aluminum -an fittings have enough heat resistance for the oil feedline?

On the KOracing block to hose fitting, is this a -3an fitting?

I was looking at ATS' feedline for the td06 and looks like they have blue anodized an fitting on the turbo cartrige and the feedline itself.

Thanks

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tee said:
Thanks for the info on the KO racing stuff, but would you know the thread pitch and size of fitting that would fit the top of the turbo cartrige?

Thanks

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
93smgturbo said:
The Greddy kit is set up for a -4
Is ATS running -3 or -4 on their oil feed line?

By the way, if I got -3, Will this do as far as heat?

From what I had read, Greddy's oil line is too large at -4.

These factory assembled brake lines are made from the same Speed-Flex stainless steel braid protected hose of extruded Teflon that is the world wide standard of the racing industry for flexible brake, clutch and instrument hoses.

I'm just wondering, since it is a complete line and all I have to do is get the adapter on the turbo. I already have an adapter from ko racing to go to -3.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
It depends on which TD06. The variant that ATS uses has a 12mm inlet, so they use a -4 adaptor. The greddy one has a 10mm inlet so I use a -3 adaptor.

Greddy doesn't use AN fittings. AN stands for Army/Navy and it is a US only size. Most japanese stuff is metric or british. Greddy happens to use an ever-so-friendly british standard pipe thread mixed with metrics. I beleive its also tapered from memory. I would not try to adapt ANYTHING to it. Either use the greddy stuff, or swap it out, block to CHRA. I learned this the long and hard way, which is why I now sell a complete "extruded teflon lined" plug and play kit for the Greddy supply side, $95 shipped thru paypal. Comes with complete gaskets, including encapsulated o-ring gasket for block side.

That line you have looks a tad long, but if it doesn't kink anywhere it should work fine. It will stand up to heat just great.

Good luck on your project :)

·
5sfeturbo.com
2,750 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Justin311 said:
It depends on which TD06. The variant that ATS uses has a 12mm inlet, so they use a -4 adaptor. The greddy one has a 10mm inlet so I use a -3 adaptor.

Greddy doesn't use AN fittings. AN stands for Army/Navy and it is a US only size. Most japanese stuff is metric or british. Greddy happens to use an ever-so-friendly british standard pipe thread mixed with metrics. I beleive its also tapered from memory. I would not try to adapt ANYTHING to it. Either use the greddy stuff, or swap it out, block to CHRA. I learned this the long and hard way, which is why I now sell a complete "extruded teflon lined" plug and play kit for the Greddy supply side, $90 shipped thru paypal. Comes with complete gaskets, including encapsulated o-ring gasket for block side.

That line you have looks a tad long, but if it doesn't kink anywhere it should work fine. It will stand up to heat just great.

Good luck on your project :)
Thanks for the info!!!

I have a new Greddy Turbo and don't have the bolt to hold down the Union. I was thinking of going with a 10mm to -3an fitting and use my ko racing block adapter.

I guess I'm trying to figure out what 10mm is. I see alot of 1/8 npt and 1/8bspt--the british standard. I have a 1/8 with me and doesn't fit, so I'm guessing that the Greddy is a 1/8 bspt.

Anyone know if what thread pitch/count they used in the Greddy Tdo6 oil feed?

Thanks

·
Registered
58 Posts
5sfect20b said:
Anyone know if what thread pitch/count they used in the Greddy Tdo6 oil feed?
Thanks
It's a 10mm x 1.25 pitch. When I built a custom feed line for my TD06, I had to use part number EAR-9919DFCERL (search on summit racing) for this...

-Geoff

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
gseeley said:
It's a 10mm x 1.25 pitch. When I built a custom feed line for my TD06, I had to use part number EAR-9919DFCERL (search on summit racing) for this...

-Geoff
Wow. I just checked that part and its a -6. (Unless that PN is incorrect) Please, PLEASE do not try to supply oil to a turbo with a -6 line :eek:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Justin311 said:
Wow. I just checked that part and its a -6. (Unless that PN is incorrect) Please, PLEASE do not try to supply oil to a turbo with a -6 line :eek:
Ya, my original line was -6 all the way. I haven't had any issues with the seals, but since my current line is leaking someplace, I'm currently looking to make the change down to -3 (or -4 depending on parts availablity, etc).

Even though I had the line in a cool-it thermo sleeve, I think the turbo fried it a bit to where the hose started to leak...

Justin311, are you still selling your replacement line? Let me know, I might be interested in getting a pre-made unit if the price is right.

-Geoff

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
gseeley said:
Ya, my original line was -6 all the way.

Justin311, are you still selling your replacement line? Let me know, I might be interested in getting a pre-made unit if the price is right.
-Geoff
Wow, I've never seen bigger than a -4 supply :)

Yes, I still make the replacement line set. Shoot me an email I will cut you a good deal ;)

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
because the oil feed on the greddy unit is oversized for it's apps. too much oil feeding into the turbo is a no no, can cause premature wear and etc. at least thats what i gather from it

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Boz said:
because the oil feed on the greddy unit is oversized for it's apps. too much oil feeding into the turbo is a no no, can cause premature wear and etc. at least thats what i gather from it
Bingo. Too much oil could cause undo stress on the turbo's oil seals, causing blowby which translates into burning oil coming out your exhaust ;)

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Boz said:
i do'nt quite think he was refering to the overall length of the line, if he was than i dono what he's asking because i have a stock greddy feed and a new feed from justin sitting next to me now and they are roughly the same length
I knew he was talking diameter...but you always have to cut josh a little extra slack :p

Actually there is probalby a 25% difference (mine being shorter). The greddy one COILS all the way around. We have always thought they just used a line from a different turbo kit to save on tooling and part count.

I have a greddy sitting at home and I"ll measure...are you sure its my line you have sitting there? And a stock greddy? LOL ;)

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ haha, yup.i ordered it a cople months ago, never got to install it tho because i just got too frustrated with the exhaust mani and stock cat bolts that i just put it back together and i'mma try again in march. cept this time a coworker of mine is gonna help me (air tools, lift, pretty much his section of the entire shop at his disposal, should make me less frustrated, haha)

but from fitting to fitting, your's is about an inch or so shorter. the actual line, minus the adapter fittings, it's a good 33% shorter

·
Registered
613 Posts
can anyone tell me what size the oil supply nut is (the nut that has the nozzle supplying oil to the turbo)? i'm putting in justin's oil lines and don't know what size it is. my biggest socket is 24mm, and that was a little too small. any hints on taking this thing off? also does anyone know what the torque spec is for that nut? thanks guys.

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
also, a good cheap alternative to AN fittings adn line are the premade lines that mcmaster.com sells with 37* JIC flare fittings (which are fully compatible with standard AN fittings). the proper oil line size ordered from them would run in the range of about $15, comes with crimped on ends and pressure tested to 3000psi. the 3/16ID teflon braided hose assy's with 7/16 JIC female swivels are what i'm talking about. i don't remember the length needed on the hose offhand, but it's not very long- maybe 18" tops.

part# 4552K431 ($14.65) for stainless fittings, 4468K631 ($9.50) for brass fittings. enter part number and it'll give you a box to enter the length. the part number is for a 12" hose, add'l hose is $0.18 per inch.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts