MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a friend that has a Greddy Td06 with S-afc and stock injectors on his car and he is afraid that if he gets an exhaust on his car that his motor is going to blow..

How many people here have this setup or something close to it?

What is another mod that he can do to the car without blowin up the motor?
Also what is the point of having a S-afc on a car that has 440cc injectors, i thought that helps when you have 540cc or 550cc injectors...

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
17psi doesnt sound too safe...try keeping it ~14psi. the internal wastegate on the greddy td06 is known to spike or creep with a free flowing exhaust which could blow your motor. no way i would run 17psi on stock fuel on my car w/the td06

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Its probably going to blow regardless with the SAFC on there :p

J/K, but you know how bad the SAFC is. So what I would suggest you talk him into is selling the SAFC, putting the money that he has to spend with the proceeds, and purchasing a ROM tune.

Truthfully he'd get more bang for his buck with an exhaust, but if he's afraid then so be it! :D

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How is it that i remember reading about people makin 275whp on td06 with out blowing them up?

Should he just get rid of the td06 and get a ct27 + rom tune????

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
^ true. justin, if i remember correctly, didn't you run 17psi on your old widebody at the track? hahaha :thumbup

personally i don't suggest running 17 psi. also, i think the whole creep issue with the tdo6 is as overrated as snap oversteer :rolleyes: There's a few people with the greddy kit plus tko without creep. (now who's really gonna argue that the tko isn't free flowing :smile:)

if he's really worried about it, then do what justin said, sell the safc. save a lil more and buy the ats external gate kit.

but yeah, 17psi and i'm assuming you upped the FP a bit, i'm sure his injectors are pretty much maxing out 90+% duty cycle or so

·
Turtle Racer
16,058 Posts
babybluemr2 said:
How is it that i remember reading about people makin 275whp on td06 with out blowing them up?

Should he just get rid of the td06 and get a ct27 + rom tune????
because 275 is the max limit of the stock injectors. ther'es a guy that posted his dyno of a tdo6 at 14psi with 260whp and other people have chimed in with their dynos as well in that same thread

since he already has a tdo6, i'd tell him to save about $1k and get the 550 bundle+ats romtune to get him over 300whp, reliably mind you. 14-15 psi and he should be seeing close to 270whp

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
babybluemr2 said:
S-afc...he is afraid that...his motor is going to blow...

What is another mod that he can do to the car without blowin up the motor?
Get a fuel pressure regulator to drop the base pressure, then use the SAFC to ADD fuel not take it out.

Get a wideband.

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
jose is talking about my car. i have the greddy kit without the exter. wastgate and a ats dp. i still have a stock exhaust and stock intercooler and am running 15lbs. we got in the discussion of me putting an exhaust on my car and i told him i would have to lower the boost due to the last owner haveing the boost set at 15 and an n1 exhaust and it creep to high and blew the motor.

jeremy

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
Justin311 said:
Its probably going to blow regardless with the SAFC on there :p
J/K, but you know how bad the SAFC is. So what I would suggest you talk him into is selling the SAFC, putting the money that he has to spend with the proceeds, and purchasing a ROM tune.

Truthfully he'd get more bang for his buck with an exhaust, but if he's afraid then so be it! :D
Werd! :)

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
Go ahead and get your exhaust and then lower boost to keep your overall HP numbers below 270whp. Then the ATS rom tune and 550cc injectors would be great after that and you can increase boost to get 300+whp.

The safest thing to do is to also get a wideband O2 so you can turn up boost until you see that your AFR's are getting to the highest acceptable point in the 6000-7000 rpm range. You are then running out of injector capability on the stock injectors.

If you get the ATS rom tune and 550's without an exhaust upgrade, you are really creating alot of back pressure in your exhaust and your EGT's could be high if you try to turn up the boost.

I have an SAFCII and also a wideband O2 (LM-1 unit, CT20B at 17-18psi) and can tell you that the SAFC will not gain you any peak horsepower if you are already able to run the injectors near their max capacity (near 270whp). It will give you a little more low/mid range and better spool if you tune with it correctly, because the stock ECU is dumping alot of fuel when it sees higher boost (even at lower rpm). Near 6000-6500rpm, this extra fuel doesn't matter because you are using all the fuel with the approx 270whp, but 3500-6000rpm the stock injectors can dump enough fuel to keep you excessively rich, even with a larger turbo (still in the 250-300whp range).

I don't think the SAFC is bad, even with postive correction values, IF it is done in moderation. With positive correction values at 10% or less, ATS has shown and published that the over advance is about 2 or 3 degrees. Not terrible, and not probably much different than with a JDM ECU. I have even seen a post that ATS typically adds a little timing in low/mid range, and then takes a little out up high in their ROM tunes (key word, typically). If the SAFC correction values are 10 or less in the low/mid range and then taper to near nothing in the upper range (which is what happens naturally as you turn the boost up and begin to max out your stock injectors) you don't need to adjust fuel at higher rpm, then you should be OK. I also have an upgraded IC (ST205 core) and a J&S knock control, so I have additional peice of mind when doing this.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Boz said:
^ true. justin, if i remember correctly, didn't you run 17psi on your old widebody at the track? hahaha :thumbup
Yes. BUT, my boost was set on a dyno under controlled circumstances. Just becuase I was lucky (and not "safe") that my setup didn't run lean @ 17 psi on stock fuel, doesn't mean everybody will be. :smile:

If this thread had started out "My friend just got off the dyno and he is making 275 whp and never gos over a 11.8:1 AFR, with stock exhaust and fuel" then I would say "DO NOT GET AN EXHAUST YOU WILL BLOW YOUR MOTOR".

But since he obvioulsy is just taking educated guesses, I would suggest that first off he pull the SAFC, second he get on the dyno and find out how his fuel is doing, and third he upgrade to a better setup. First a better exhaust, next 550s and a ROM tune. Just my 2 cents ;)

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Take the car from him now!!!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
so if i get a ct-27+ 2.5 ko racing exhaust am i gonna have to worry about boost creep if i run it at say 14 psi which is like 250whp. btw what exactly tells my injectors to inject more/less fuel if the amount of air in the cylinders is different?

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
red_91duece said:
so if i get a ct-27+ 2.5 ko racing exhaust am i gonna have to worry about boost creep if i run it at say 14 psi which is like 250whp. btw what exactly tells my injectors to inject more/less fuel if the amount of air in the cylinders is different?
I had ct20b + 2.5 downpipe in my old setup and i never had any problems with boost creep. I was doing 251whp @16psi... :thumbup

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
get a intercooler! i would say that 15 psi on a stock ic is not gonna be good. a bigger turbo helps, but won't save you. why push the car so hard? i have already seen many cars on this forum. "new turbo", "car is fast", then "had some fun and blew motor," and finally "turbo and car for sale."

i agree with ridding yourself of the safc. also get some 550's and maybe a fuel pump.

·
Registered
679 Posts
mr_two said:
get a intercooler! i would say that 15 psi on a stock ic is not gonna be good. a bigger turbo helps, but won't save you. why push the car so hard? i have already seen many cars on this forum. "new turbo", "car is fast", then "had some fun and blew motor," and finally "turbo and car for sale."

i agree with ridding yourself of the safc. also get some 550's and maybe a fuel pump.
exactly. As someone who's motor has blown and my car has been out of commission for 4 months now, just do it right the first time. Don't try and push the car for better numbers, if anything overbuild it and keep things on the conservative side. my 2 psi

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
i did not choose the set up on the car, i bought it like this. i was plaining new parts and setup but now that am going to the navy i stoped all plains and pu the car up from sale.

jeremy

1 - 20 of 50 Posts