MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone familiar with the greddy td-o6 turbo?......Im thinking about buying this, but before I do I want to get some more insight from everyone here....My goals are eventually going to be anywhere from 280-350whp.....I know I need a few more mods before I get this but oh well......

All advice and other help is greatly appreciated from this community!

thanks again,
Brian

·
0 Posts
list what mods you have now so we can get an idea of where you're at in your quest for over 300

·
Registered
904 Posts
Posting for Tyzzer................

He has...Blitz Turbo Timer DCII w/ boost gauge, Blitz Nur Spec, Turboxs MBC, Turboxs RFL, HKS FCD, 14PSI, Tein S-Techs.............

·
0 Posts
personally if it was me, I'd continue to work on other aspects of the car first before you dive into a new turbo. The car is pretty fast for now, I'd upgrade the brake system for sure, new pads, better rotors, new stainless lines. But I definately understand the need for speed and I'm sure when it comes down to it you'll do what you wanna do. By the way, Tyzzer are you the guy that used to have that old Camaro I think it was??? 70's year range model? Just checkin...

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea....'75 camaro w/ a 350 V8......How did u know that?

·
0 Posts
then you made a good choice moving up to the MR2, as much as I like muscle cars, they just cannot compare in handling and response, but there is something cool about them. I went to eastlake and I had a crimson red 91 turbo, i'm shawn kidd's cousin haha, anyways goodluck with the turbo and let us know if you do it and how it runs and impressions because I know for sure that I'll probably switch turbos at some point. By the way, I did sell my 91 turbo, but I'm planning on starting a new project in the summer with a JDM engine, etc.

·
Premium Member
11,470 Posts
tyzzdogg said:
Anyone familiar with the greddy td-o6 turbo?......Im thinking about buying this, but before I do I want to get some more insight from everyone here....Brian
Brian,
I'm very familiar with the TD06; I just sold mine in Dec. 04. I'm running a KO Street Brawler now that has very similar power potential. Also, my fuel has been upgraded. Make sure you upgrade your fuel & IC at a minimum with the TD06 cuz it's very capable of blowing your motor or just make sure you keep the boost down which kinda defeats the purpose of this turbo.

I went with the SB for many reasons but the main reason was because when I upgraded my exhaust to a very free flowing 3" dual, I started getting mad overboost due to the internal wastegate of the TD06. I couldn't hold lower boost very well and it spiked to 20+ psi. So, if your goal is to go above 300 hp, chances are you're gonna run into creep problems or be forced to run high boost all the time....that is if you can keep it steady.

Granted the SB is more expensive but to get the Greddy to equal what you get with the SB ie. stainless oil lines, external wg, dp support bracket, etc. IMO the SB is a better deal.

So, if you're dead set on a TD06, make sure you get the externally gated version....ATS offers it.

If you have any specific questions, I'd be happy to help you out!

Roger

·
Registered
2,585 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So after buying the kit...probably going with the ATS td-06 kit.....I need to get a better intercooler....bigger fuel injectors......Fuel pressure gauge...fuel pressure regulator....then something similar to the SAFC.....Is that all I need to worry bout for the time being?

Thanks again for all of the help

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
tyzzdogg said:
So after buying the kit...probably going with the ATS td-06 kit.....I need to get a better intercooler....bigger fuel injectors......Fuel pressure gauge...fuel pressure regulator....then something similar to the SAFC.....Is that all I need to worry bout for the time being?

Thanks again for all of the help
Yes mos def you gonna need the ATS adapter kit which is the exhaust manifold welded with external waste gate flange. So you gonna have to get you a waste gate. You can choose any brand you want but I prefer Tial brand.
For injectors 550 supra injectors should be substantial enough but you gonna need to upgrade to a bigger fuel pump with something to control you air and fuel. S-AFC can do it for you the least expensive way or the more expensive EMS. You need someone that has experience to street tune your car with S-AFC to get your car running where you want it.
Upgrading your "intercooler" is a must like Roger stated. TD06 is very capable of blowing your motor so try yo keep the boost to down to 15 psi.
Bigger fan for IC shroud to make it run cooler air.
Ignition needs to be upgraded also. There's a lot out there that you can choose but I prefer MSD6AL with a coil blaster good for 350 or more HP.
Hope this help a little...

REVSPEC
:smile:

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Just be very very careful if you opt for the cheaper S-AFC. It's very easy to blow cylinders when you're pushing lots of boost and only using the S-AFC to control fuel. The stock ECU will be extremely aggressive with your timing since you're modifying the AFM signal. Few folks have breached 300whp reliably with the S-AFC.

Spend the extra dough for an EMS. It's worth every penny for future tuning potential and reliability.

·
Registered
830 Posts
would 15 psi be safe with a td06 on stock fuel system. I also have a greddy intercooler and will run 93 octane. Also how bad will boost spike be? I have a tko right now and get none at 13 psi.

·
Registered
348 Posts
i have a td06 in my 2 and i love it, i didn't take the chance with the internal wastegate, so i upgraded to the external. i'm at 300rwhp right know and the car is crazy fast, i will be pushing more HP soon. My advice buy the turbo but put the external on for sure.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Posting for Tyzzer...............

Since you have the td-06.....what have you personally upgraded?......Just curious......
and i was planning on the external WG as well.......but not sure what to do for engine management...cant afford the AEM EMS.......

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Blake Gomez said:
Posting for Tyzzer...............

Since you have the td-06.....what have you personally upgraded?......Just curious......
and i was planning on the external WG as well.......but not sure what to do for engine management...cant afford the AEM EMS.......
Talk to RickyB about the Nemesis. $1400 for a system that does everything the AEM does and more.

·
Registered
904 Posts
Posting for Tyzzer.......Still way outta my budget.....i was thinkin more of the 400 dollar range...

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
Then unfortunately you need to think about 280whp max. Any more than that and you will need all new fuel components, plus EMS, plus dyno tuning. Even if you go the unreliable route of S-AFC, you still need dyno tuning time. Breaking past 280whp reliably costs big bucks.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts