MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a question for anybody who is using or has experience with these springs. I'm considering getting these springs, or the RSR race springs.
Now I'm curious of the spring rates.
1991 Turbo
F: 130lb/in. linear
R: 209lb/in. linear

Tanabe SUSTEC GF210
F: 2.3kg/mm=129lb/in. 1"
R: 4.1kg/mm=230lb/in. 1"

RS*R Heavy Duty Race
F: 201lb/in. 0.8"
R: 346lb/in. 1.0"

I noticed the Tanabe's rates are very similiar to the stock 91t spring rates, yet their site and vendors claim that they are 20-30% stiffer over oem springs. I also like the fact they are linear, just wondering if RSR's are linear as well. Heard good things about both springs, price is similiar, just want the one that will provide better handling, feel, looks, and retain some street driveability. Also, do you need new rubber spacers with these springs? That's all I've got to ask, for now. I'm open to all opinions, thanks in advance.

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
I have the RS-R Race Springs and don't really like them but there are those that do. They're progressive in design. I bought my springs hoping they'd be linear. At the time I got my springs, it was in between these two but I opted for the RS-R's. Also, even though RS-R advertises the drop as 1 inch and 0.8 inches, they're probably closer to around 1 1/4 or 1/1/2 inches all around. Once I installed them, I had no gap at all. This is on a '93 MR2 with the OEM 15" rims wrapped in 205/50 and 225/50 ES100's. There are a few people now that have the Tanabe springs and are really like them, so those are the springs I'd suggest. Since you like the rates on the RS-R's, you can try looking for the discontinued Tanabe Sustec CVS springs, I've been searching for these without any luck for a pretty long time now. Their spring rates are close to the RS-R's.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool, thanks for the input guys. Now is there anyone out there with the Tanabe springs that has any input?

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats cool. I'm gonna be using Tokico Illuminas as well. I've already ordered the Tanabe springs. So I'll be able to give my opinion in a week or so.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the tanabes in. Very happy with the ride difference. Much more smooth, little stiffer, but bearable. Lowered the car more than the 1" claimed by the company. More like 1.3"-1.5", but I didn't mind. Great springs, recommend them to anyone looking for a cheap, linear, performance spring.

·
Certified Lid Sniffer
4,012 Posts
^^ I'll second this! I've been riding on mine for over 2 months and I am still just as enthusiastic about them as when I first had them installed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts