MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I track my car and as of now have RS-R race springs and Tokico 5 ways with stock sway bars.

I don't want ST
I'd like to have TRD, but they are too hard to find.

What other bars are out there? Also, where would be the best place to buy them???

Thanks guys,
Steve

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
Dunno anyone with Tanabe sway bars. The few guys I've heard of that have Addco seem to like them. There's Cusco and don't know if you can find them but Arc, also.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
steve91t said:
I track my car and as of now have RS-R race springs and Tokico 5 ways with stock sway bars.

I don't want ST
I'd like to have TRD, but they are too hard to find.

What other bars are out there? Also, where would be the best place to buy them???

Thanks guys,
Steve
Why are you looking for sway bars? I am curious because you have the same suspension bits I have sitting in the garage. What's your opinion of the combination and how does it behave on the track?

FYI, if you really want TRD bars, try Tom at partznet.com. Last time I talked with him I think he had some on hand.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the comments....

As far as how it is on the track, it's great. I have no complaints. But adding upgraded sway bars will definitely increase the grip and stability in the turns.

For a few hundred dollars, I think it'll definitely be worth it. I'll let you know when I get them on the car how I like them.

Steve

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
I have had the Tokico Illumina, RS-R Race Spring, Prothane bushing combo on my car for a year now and there's still a bit of roll. I think sway bars would be a significant amount of help in that area.

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
If you wouldn't mind, what size wheels & tires are you guys running? Also the tire brand and model if you don't mind. I'm trying to get a better picture of your suspension set-ups. :)

My current thinking is 17x7 front wheel with a 215/40-17 tire and a 17x8 rear running a 235/40-17 tire. Tires will be the Hankook Ventus R-S2 Z212. I've had a friend running them on a similar size and weight car to the MR2 with slightly smaller contact patches and they seem to do well on the track. They won't be as sticky as the RA-1's I run on my Evo, but they should last longer.

The Cusco bars were available from www.horsepowerfreak.com last time I looked, and the rear bar is supposed to be adjustable.

·
1994 SMG N/A
3,197 Posts
Mine is a '93 N/A Hardtop with the OEM 15" wheels. I have Yokohama AVS ES100's all around. 205/50 and 225/50. After installing the shocks and springs I got it aligned back to OEM specs.

·
Registered
626 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I have RS-R race springs, Tokico 5 ways, ST sway bars on the way along with either TRD or Cusco bars. Both are ordered, I'll return the Cusco's if I like the TRD better.

As far as wheels, 17x7, 215/40/17 front and 17x8, 245/40/17 rear. The wheels and tires will get here tomorrow night.

Then the last step is to get a good alignment.

Steve

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
how come you didn't want to go with ST's but now decided to go with them?

I'm thinking about using ST and have heard nothing but good things

·
Registered
1,243 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I have a friend with R-SR Race springs and AGX dampers in his 91 MR2, and it's almost impossibile to get the car to lean. We can usually feel the tire sidewalls starting to curl & flex before the car starts to lean over. He is on stock sized tires right now, though.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
mr2turbored said:
how come you didn't want to go with ST's but now decided to go with them?
I run an ST and have had to repair/replace/upgrade the end links, the strut tabs and the frame. My guess is he wanted to avoid all that headache.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
ah ok.

I can understand the drop link upgrade as i've already got some planned for mine, just need to make them. nice 3/4 inch thick :)

But thats up with the frame? i thought those large plates they supply would solve this?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts