MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I dont want to drop the same amount as my mortgage on a set of kouki tail lights right now. They look great, but good gosh the cost is nuts.
What options are there for us who dont really think the 91-93 look good?
My boy Fermin (on here some) picked up a 2 that someone tinted the tails, and I like it, but I also dont want to do something that cant be undone.

·
2,302 Posts
Ok, I dont want to drop the same amount as my mortgage on a set of kouki tail lights right now. They look great, but good gosh the cost is nuts.
What options are there for us who dont really think the 91-93 look good?
My boy Fermin (on here some) picked up a 2 that someone tinted the tails, and I like it, but I also dont want to do something that cant be undone.
Could you do a smoked film over them so it can be taken off?

·
5,247 Posts
^ That's an idea, I've seen it done before - it sort of mutes the look of the old set and makes the rear appear less "80s/90s" looking.

There's also the Lexus style lights in 2 possible trims, as well as negating the center grill for a cleaner look. Both items are sold by MR2-BEN in the UK.

A cheaper solution might be to experiment w/ LEDs in the housings instead of regular lamps.

·
Registered
5,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Im not sold on the 'altezza style'
I feel like if I did go with it, I'd still tint them to get rid of all the 'clear' parts

·
5,247 Posts
You don't have much of a choice w/ a niche car having 30 year old tails, especially if your coinage is limited. We're lucky anything is still available. Don't forget that the OEM tails w/ all the trimmings were between $400 & $600 new from the dealer roughly in '98, that's just under $1,000 today if they were still available. Also, I'd be cautious on the homemade stuff. Unless one has an artful flair, customizing tails usually ends up looking amateur,

I remember seeing one dude who spent a few hours over a couple of days polishing his '91 tails until they were like mirrors. Brand friggin' new looking, very reflective. They were so shiny in fact, that they tended to distract from their Civic-like appearance by being so new looking.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Polished and spray clear coat. Check with Bob Pham. There’s someone out there did the polishing for him. IMHO, if your 2 is a 91-92 stick with the OG tailgate. I’ve grown to love the classic look.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts