MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I dont want to drop the same amount as my mortgage on a set of kouki tail lights right now. They look great, but good gosh the cost is nuts.
What options are there for us who dont really think the 91-93 look good?
My boy Fermin (on here some) picked up a 2 that someone tinted the tails, and I like it, but I also dont want to do something that cant be undone.

·
Super Moderator
3,079 Posts
Ok, I dont want to drop the same amount as my mortgage on a set of kouki tail lights right now. They look great, but good gosh the cost is nuts.
What options are there for us who dont really think the 91-93 look good?
My boy Fermin (on here some) picked up a 2 that someone tinted the tails, and I like it, but I also dont want to do something that cant be undone.
Could you do a smoked film over them so it can be taken off?

·
Super Moderator
5,500 Posts
^ That's an idea, I've seen it done before - it sort of mutes the look of the old set and makes the rear appear less "80s/90s" looking.

There's also the Lexus style lights in 2 possible trims, as well as negating the center grill for a cleaner look. Both items are sold by MR2-BEN in the UK.

A cheaper solution might be to experiment w/ LEDs in the housings instead of regular lamps.

·
Super Moderator
5,500 Posts
You don't have much of a choice w/ a niche car having 30 year old tails, especially if your coinage is limited. We're lucky anything is still available. Don't forget that the OEM tails w/ all the trimmings were between $400 & $600 new from the dealer roughly in '98, that's just under $1,000 today if they were still available. Also, I'd be cautious on the homemade stuff. Unless one has an artful flair, customizing tails usually ends up looking amateur,

I remember seeing one dude who spent a few hours over a couple of days polishing his '91 tails until they were like mirrors. Brand friggin' new looking, very reflective. They were so shiny in fact, that they tended to distract from their Civic-like appearance by being so new looking.

·
Registered
881 Posts
Polished and spray clear coat. Check with Bob Pham. There’s someone out there did the polishing for him. IMHO, if your 2 is a 91-92 stick with the OG tailgate. I’ve grown to love the classic look.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
you could look for a different center panel - i've found that can modernize it a bit on the zenkis. Granted these options are all incredibly hard to come by (Specifically the TOMs in a zenki) but people do make fg or cf panels that just cover the center section. That "Back view" smoked tail cover actually covers the tail lights as well as the center panel, you can see the tail light covers in the bottom right of the third picture. Unfortunately all of these options remove your ability to access the keyhole if you need to. There's one more panel made by Forgham or something similar i can pull out if you're interested although i don't think it does much to modernize the look.

Also the orange corners are pretty dated to me, if you're willing to put time and energy (and some money) in, replacing them with the clears actually makes it looks 10x better IMO.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Yeah polish them up, then set up a deck chair and music and stare at them for a few hours.
You'll form a new connection with them, like if you said the word Canada too much.

Canada.

·
Registered
6,095 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Sarno - that person you referenced for 75 - it's for ONE light. Hell, it'd be cheaper to buy a new set of that style as they are 130ish for both vs 75 for one.
Im still considering that option and tinting them due to price.
And also considering polishing the F out of my stockers and hoping to fall in love with them ha

·
Registered
31 Posts
you could look for a different center panel - i've found that can modernize it a bit on the zenkis. Granted these options are all incredibly hard to come by (Specifically the TOMs in a zenki) but people do make fg or cf panels that just cover the center section. That "Back view" smoked tail cover actually covers the tail lights as well as the center panel, you can see the tail light covers in the bottom right of the third picture. Unfortunately all of these options remove your ability to access the keyhole if you need to. There's one more panel made by Forgham or something similar i can pull out if you're interested although i don't think it does much to modernize the look.
View attachment 72572
View attachment 72573
View attachment 72574

Also the orange corners are pretty dated to me, if you're willing to put time and energy (and some money) in, replacing them with the clears actually makes it looks 10x better IMO.
View attachment 72571
Love this spoiler

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used a tinting film on mine a couple of years ago, and really liked the results at first.

However, after a year or so, the film started to bubble in places, and lift in others (probably my fault for not prepping well enough, but vinyl is always going to be temporary to a degree, no matter how well you do it). So when I painted, I completely refreshed the tail lights by sanding down not just the lenses but the plastic trim, then painting the trim with trim & bumper paint, and clearing the lenses with 2k automotive clear coat. So while the design still looks dated, they at least look brand new.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Yea man...94 T Lights are just crazy expensive these days! I remember when you could buy a set used for under 200 bucks!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts