MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It wasn't until recently after I installed my berk tech ic that I noticed a change in my cars behavior. I lost my low end torque but gained a noticeable top end. First I thought it might have been a leak somewhere but all the hoses are tight. Boost doesn't hit til after 4000rpms and when it does, it hits hard and pulls. With the stock ic I saw boost at 3000rpms and it was a huge hit. It just seemed to run out of breath at the upper rpms. The car doesn't feel like it has half as much power as before the ic install. The car also seems to jerk back and forth at upper rpms like when I had bad ignition wires. I'm thinking it might be the clutch. Since installing the ic I probably gained more power and the clutch isn't able to handle it anymore, causing it to slip. I do find it hard to get the car in gear sometimes. Would being low on tranny fluid cause these symptoms also? I need to check on the fluid level. Could my timing be off? While installing my oil temp gauge, the oil block adapter decided to take a poop all over the underside of my car, possibly getting some on the belt. I plan on taking it in for an inspection but would just like a heads up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
an easy way to check the clutch is pull the park brake on hard stick it in 2cnd gear & bring the clutch pedal then at bight give a few revs then try & let the pedal off all the way if the car stalls tge clutch is still biting well ,if it slips then its worn out,hope this is of use.

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
In my experience, if a car doesn't run right after installing a mod, something got screwed up during the installation.

It sounds very much like a boost leak to me. The car will poop on itself when it loses metered air. Quadruple check all of your couplings and clamps.

A slipping clutch is most evident when trying to accelerate in a high gear, from a medium-low rpm. Then engine will rev, but the car won't accelerate.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Clutch slippage is evident where the most torque is present. thats why you buy clutches according to Ft/lbs and not HP

So a stock ct26 car will make its most torque at around 3500 rpm, where the clutch will begin to slip. BUT if you go WOT up at about 4500 rpm or so, the clutch may or may not slip depending on how worn the clutch is.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.