MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know, I know. It's a PITA to change colors, and also very expensive. But I just can't stand the current color on my '91T (light blueish gray), and I can't afford to spend $3k getting the car taken apart peice by piece and meticulously repainted. If I only had the exterior of my car repainted, would it still cost me more to go with a different color (black)? I would rather have an imperfectly painted black car, than a perfectly painted grey one. How cheesy would it look to paint the underside of the lids, door jams, etc., myself? I don't think it would really bother me to have the little bits and peices rattle can black, but you never know that sort of thing until you actually see it in person. Has anyone attempted this? Pictures would be fantastic, but any input is much appreciated.

·
2 less in Richmond.
20,801 Posts
To do it right its going to cost you. If you want a black car sell yours and buy a black one or pay the 3-5k and do a color change.

I strongly suggest you dont ruin this car by half assing a color change. please....

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
Rattle can black is just going to scratch off especially in high traffic areas like the door jams. I suggest either having the swhole car professionally done or sell it and buy the color you want. If it is an SMG then I am sure people may even be willing to trade strait up for their black.

·
Registered
21 Posts
i just finished changing mine over from red to black, it was a pain, you have the front hood, engine lid, trunk, engine side panels, side vents, gas door, headlight covers, and doors. all of these parts needed to be removed, sanded, primed, sanded, reprimed, wetsanded and sprayed. however, the diffrence is amazing and well worth it

·
Registered
384 Posts
hi guys, i'm back, and my 2 is black :D check out this thread i made, and go to the end for before and after pix.

i live in southern california, and i got mine done at 1daypaint.com for $614.60. it's not a perfect paint job by any means, but pretty good imo. i will repaint my car completely perfectly for upwards of $1500 as soon as this paint starts to fade/crack/peel etc.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=1628951#post1628951

this is only a temporary solution, but a good looking temporary solution :) keep the "mr2" on the panel btwn the tail lights red if u ever make ur red 2 black, it compliments the overall ass well.

more pics here:

http://photobucket.com/albums/c306/fusionchickenleg/MR2T/

·
Premium Member
1,419 Posts
do you have any pics with the doors, hood, frunk, engine lid open? Or did they not paint any of those sections?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts