MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this exhaust on ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8034359550 I have one on my car and it looks and sounds awesome. Real loud though. I didn't really expect it to help the car any, I had just bought it for looks. But when I pulled outa the muffler shop, it seemed a lil faster. Oh, and despite what the ad says, it WILL fit on a 4agze mr2. The muffler dudes didn't have any problems with it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
i had one of those on my old 87 NA, sounded pretty good, not very loud.. though i did go to 2 glass packs inline after that :p.. they look great (though mine was always pretty dirty)

·
Registered
435 Posts
Have one already, the only complaint being that the paint burned off a bit around the tips. I have a feeling They use reagular paint as opposed to high temp paint. Otherwise Im happy with it...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I had one on my SC for a few years. The exhaust noise was so annoying, every year after winter storage I had to sandblast it and paint it black again. Oh and the hangers were crap, had to fab up better ones so it wouldn't fall off. I have a custom magnaflow system on Ebay now, check the Ebay section for my post.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Robb said:
I have a custom magnaflow system on Ebay now, check the Ebay section for my post.
Ya I looked at that one. I'd buy it if I needed it. My bro was looking at that 'cuz he also has a two (great to have two parked in front of the house) but hes got no $. Says he's jus gonna cut out the muffler on his NA 87 and weld in this cherry bomb he has. I think that'l be waay to loud though.

·
Registered
8,745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ya the part about the paint is true, and the yellow stripes on the outside are just plastic tape. But the metal is now aluminized steel, and where the paint has burned off, its all shiny and rust free, and its been raining a lot lately. Plus I got an exhaust leak and it backfires when I let off the gas and shoots a little flame, which is neat. :smile:

·
Registered
435 Posts
TeaBagofDeath said:
Pacesetter generally makes crappy products that rust out real quick. I wouldn't trust them.
I guess I'll ride it out and get a HKS or build my own when it falls apart. For now Im gonna repaint it with high temp and see what happens.

·
Registered
227 Posts
would this be a good muffler to get? it says its aluminized so it shouldnt rust. do they sound ricey, i dont want to sound like a ricer. also, how much do the HKS exhausts go for and where can i get one? or are there any other good alternatives? i'm wondering if i should just get a new stock one.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
The one I got int 1997 said aluminized, but I think it was only on the muffler. Iam currently using that muffler and the pipe is rusted, but the muffler is not. They tend to drone at 3500. Mine doesn't have a cat in place though. Mine is lound, but I like it. In no way does it sound like a fart can. I like the oldschool look of it on MK1s. Heavy though.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I posted this question about a year ago and went ahead and got it anyway. Well, its all true.

The paint started to go right in the middle of the muffler. It does look and sound good, but I doubt if it will last much longer.

I try not to drive it in the rain or in the snow (which we haven't had much of) but if you live in a rust belt, the muffler won't last a season if you use it as your daily driver.

It's too bad because it really looks and sounds good on the car. It should come with a caution sticker [FOR SHOW ONLY]!!!!

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
I live in the deep south. I definately would not reccomend to anyone living in a snow area. I does look good though.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts