MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
RIP July2013
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We got spark, we have fuel, it cranks, but does not turn over. Compression tested 150 150 130 130.

It just cranks and cranks and cranks, smell of fuel, but will not turn over.

Any ideas on what to check? TPS, ignition, ECU all have been tested and swapped. with working parts. Fuses all good.

Any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Check timing, check that the rotor is in the right position when piston #1 is up, and make sure that all the plugs are gapped properly. Don't know why I'm thinking of this, but check your grounds. Make sure nothing is grounding the engine. Hope some of that helps.

·
Registered
591 Posts
okay, you may already have checked this, but I felt obligated to mention, since I had it happen to me a couple of times..

Is your open circuit relay functioning? Your car will crank,but will not start if it's not functioning.

Will

·
blown ringland in cyl #3
1,343 Posts
That will definately be taken a look at. can that be done while the motor is in the car? cause if it needs to be dropped, chances are its just going to be replaced. Thanks for the info though!

G

·
Its not the timing man, check the MAF i bet its not working right.
It will create a open circuit and keep the car from starting.

·
RIP July2013
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah, turn-over does equal cranking. mike and woody are using my board name to post ideas. this is the 8th wonder of the world, it has everything needed to start, and will not. air, spark, fuel, compression but i guess no combustion.

·
Registered
75 Posts
It sound stupid, but you might want to double check your AFM and all the Fuel and Air Sensors. I'll email you something maybe it might help.

·
Two for me, None for you
6,115 Posts
Check if the cams are in the correct position. We had the same problem with a local guy's Gen2 swap and we finally figured out that the cams were in the wrong position.

-JD

·
Registered
83 Posts
Well guys, this is my old engine from my 2...it ran PERFECTLY prior to being swapped for a Gen. 3 at Dave's shop. Pulled it off the dolly right into the shop when i got there. The car was an AUTO with the previous owner and that owner then swapped it to a MANUAL tranny but retained the AUTO ECU and HARNESS. But Dave has swapped the harness and ecu out now. The fact that it ran just fine prior to being swapped should eliminate the timing being an issue. I have no clue to what it could be, so throw up everything you could possibly imagine it to be in this scenario...car runs fine, drop off at shop, swapped, sits in shop, goes in another car, won't start but cranks over and over. Help Dave out guys

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
And another answer about basic troubleshooting procedures.

An engine needs, fuel, spark, and compression, all in correct sequence.

Now you can just start replacing whatever comes to mind, you can get a laundry list of possibilites from a message board, or you can follow a simple, logical procedure to locate the problem.

1) Do you have fuel delivery

2) do you have ignition

3) Do you have sufficient compression

4) Is it in time mechanically, and ignitin-wise

·
RIP July2013
1,454 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
i was hoping you would see this billwot.

i am 100% on #2 & 3, we have spark down to the plugs, and the compression was 130 130 150 150. I am Almost positive that we have fuel delivery, but it may be inconsistent, and or flooded at times. we are working on that now.

assuming we have all of those 3 (which i believe we do), it comes down to the timing, like you said. however, i watched dark DRIVE this off of a dolly, like he said... and i already swapped out the engine harness/ecu to get around the automatic ecu/harness problem.

the ONLY wiring difference was a white wire on the TPS, but i dont think that would keep this from starting. the harness/ecu i am using is the 17260 that is in all 91-92 NA's (manuals - i believe), so its used to a 3 wire tps, which is why i had the white wire left over.

so, any specific ideas? we are now making sure that the fuel delivery is consistent and not flooded (plugs were wet).

thanks everyone!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
umm, i had a problem like this once, it turned out to be an EFI fuse, if that is blown, no fuel... and no ecu i think... but yea, try it out man,, start small

1 - 20 of 23 Posts