MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone have any write ups on the na to turbo swap. im having trouble locating one please help!!!

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
good question id like to see one too mainly just woried about teh wiring

·
Registered
89 Posts
Honestly, there's really there is nothing to it, as long as you can get a complete rear clip. Since you are going from N/A to turbo, you would want the entire rear half anyways (everything in the engine compartment, tranny, exhaust, sensors, wiring harness(s), ECU, ect...). Getting this will save you so much time and effort, but will cost you alittle more than say, red necking your way around converting a turbo engine to run on some of your stock components. Buying the clip will make it as simple as remove and replace. Just be sure you get one from a reputable place. And if you are going to install it yourself, be sure to take you time, label every nut and bolt... buy the turbo BGBs (even though they are horrible books).

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
what about doing it with a cut harness?
like most clips come

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
with a cut harness.. prepare to trace every line, by the end of that swap, you will have intricate knowledge of the car's wiring schematics... also be prepared for not being able to drive the car for a long time if you've never done wiring like this before.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
will being an electronics technician and having good skills with reading schematics aid in this

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
im sure that will help immensely, however you will still have to study the intricate wriing diagrams, and this will prolong the swap time significantly. There is a LOT more that can go wrong w/ the added step of wiring...

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
will i need the bgb of a jap. car since i will be getting the gen 3 or are they the same as the gen 2 as far as wiring goes? i have my 93 bgb but dont know if the 3sgte stuff will fly

·
Registered
89 Posts
Since the Gen3 swap has gotten so popular over the last few years, there are actually alot of shops that could help you out on this, if you choose to go the splicing route. I believe there was even a guy making converted harnesses using the US harness as a base for the Gen3 swap over. Have you tried posting Q's in the Hybrid section? If anything, someone there could probably point you in a better direction, or at least drop a reliable name for more info.

·
Registered
1,154 Posts
According to mr2biker91, all you have to do is match the wiring from the cut harness to the fuse panel. He said that there are like five or six wires that don't get hooked up, but his car runs perfectly fine. As far as the rest of the swap goes, it's straight forward. Drop the rear end of the clip and swap it in, then splice the same colored wires = done.

·
They call me LUCKY!
4,923 Posts
^ match the wires up ? are they color coded teh same eor do i get to trace them back from therir origin

1 - 12 of 12 Posts