MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 92 N/A with 165000 i am looking to do a engine swap. my question is would i be better to go with a gen 2 , a gen 3. I know the gen3 is better than a gen 2 but i also see that i can get a gen 2 clip for bout 1700 whereas a gen 3 clip is 3500. i am on a kind of tight budget so i haft to take that into account ny goal is to be able to outrun a new vette wich i am guessing it will take around 350 whp aight i think that is everything any help would appreicated thanks guys

·
Premium Member
2,254 Posts
get a gen 2 and use the money you would save on mods. After about 300rwhp there is no difference because you must change out so many parts that you are left with just the engine itself that is the same

the things that are different on the gen3 are cams, turbo, no afm, (other stuff too but i don't know), in order to get 350rwhp you need to change the turbo and cams and get a stand alone EMS so everything would be the same, just get the gen 2 is what I'm saying, sorry if I confuse you.

Kevin

·
Registered
3,568 Posts
yeah really a gen2 would be best but then again im sure a few members can back me up when i say reguardless of what gen you get its really nothing cause ive seen gen1s just as fast as gen3s so really any gen would do just gotta know wat to do to it... good luck keep us posted

·
Registered
445 Posts
Gen 2 - Almost plug and play wiring if you have a full harness, can find parts easily, less headaches to deal with.

Gen 3 - Wiring can get frustrating if you do not have the pinouts. Some parts are interchangeable from Gen 2, some you will have to special order.

If your goal is to just be fast, I would get a Gen 2 and use the extra money to buy upgrades. IMO Gen 3 is kinda overrated.

·
Registered
439 Posts
350WHP is your goal then a gen 3 is what you want but the wiring maybe more time then your willing to spend.

The 2nd gen 3sgte is your best bet and can easly get to your goal of 350 whp with bolt ons and tuning.

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
I doubt you can reach 350 whp on a 2nd gen 3sgte with just bolt ons and tuning. You'll definitely need to upgrade your turbo, fuel system, and a well-tuned ems to name a few....but yeah if your goal is over 300 whp it doesn't matter which motor you choose since you'll be changing out cams, springs, OS valves, etc. etc....and any supporting mods to handle 350 reliably.

·
Registered
439 Posts
mr2dude2000 said:
I doubt you can reach 350 whp on a 2nd gen 3sgte with just bolt ons and tuning. You'll definitely need to upgrade your turbo, fuel system, and a well-tuned ems to name a few....but yeah if your goal is over 300 whp it doesn't matter which motor you choose since you'll be changing out cams, springs, OS valves, etc. etc....and any supporting mods to handle 350 reliably.

What do you call turbo kits,fuel systems,engine managent systems???
It's called boly-ons :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
In my opinion any part that is not visible when looking at the engine from the outside is not a bolt on. And when you bolt on major components like the turbo to achieve 350 whp then you need supporting internal mods such as cams etc.... Didn't you blow your motor recently?

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
way2fast4u said:
I currently have a 92 N/A with 165000 i am looking to do a engine swap. my question is would i be better to go with a gen 2 , a gen 3. I know the gen3 is better than a gen 2 but i also see that i can get a gen 2 clip for bout 1700 whereas a gen 3 clip is 3500. i am on a kind of tight budget so i haft to take that into account ny goal is to be able to outrun a new vette wich i am guessing it will take around 350 whp aight i think that is everything any help would appreicated thanks guys
I've been down the same road as you are going through now and if I had to start all over, I would just buy an mr2 turbo and build from there. 350 whp will cost you between 12k and 15k when all is said and done on a swap (clip, install, tuning, parts , advil, painkillers, beer etc...)

Although I didn't have a budget when I swapped my NA motor to a turbo, which is now capable of 350 to 400 horses , I'm starting to watch every penny. Just my 2 cents.....

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the help guys most of u so far have said gen 2 wich is what i was leaning towards because i figured i would hafta change everything out anyways some other questions i have though are what about the upgraded suspusion and brakes etc.. from a gen 3 clip are they alot better or is that not worth it either also mine right now does not have abs is there anyway i can get that on mine thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
are the wiring harnesses' interchangeable between the jdm and us motors? I just gave up my search for a turbo due to obvious reasons $$. plus I would like a hardtop. any good tips on where to get good clip while saving a buck? also have any people in ca that did the swap had problems with smog? sorry for the thread hijack. I need specific answers and the search function is not helping me in that sense. hey, how come nobody has made a how to manual for this swap, considering it has been done thousands of times?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts