MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for a recommendation for fluid (oil) change. Does S54 really use Dexron II ATF?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I first read about it in my 1991 MR2 repair manual then I looked up recommended lubricants on the Amsoil website and saw ATF again. I am seeing the Redline MT90 is recommended on this forum.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So i removed the top fill plug and found bright red ATF! Learned something new.
Does the Castrol help with synchro mesh issues?

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
I can't really be sure if it does but making sure all your shift linkage bushes are not worn goes a long way to fixing an apparent synchro problem.
My gearbox was hard to change gears sometimes but putting in new oil and changing out all the bushes made it far better. Not perfect but you can change down gears way easier from high revs than before.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looking for a recommendation for fluid (oil) change. Does S54 really use Dexron II ATF?
I used SWEPCO in my 911, all the Porsche guys say it's almost as good as a rebuild for the 915 transaxle with the notorious weak syncros!!! Works a treat!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
No. Manual transmissions use gear oil. Where does that idea come from?
In accordance with the OFFICIAL MR2 Shop Manual for the 1991 MR2 (non turbo) S54 Transmission use Dexron II ATF 2.7 qts. The MR2 (turbo) E153 uses transaxle oil E50 (08885 or 80206) or equivalent 4.4 qts. I would go "By the Book"

·
Registered
4 Posts
In accordance with the OFFICIAL MR2 Shop Manual for the 1991 MR2 (non turbo) S54 Transmission use Dexron II ATF 2.7 qts. The MR2 (turbo) E153 uses transaxle oil E50 (08885 or 80206) or equivalent 4.4 qts. I would go "By the Book"

·
Registered
4 Posts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts