MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i just want to know which is more better in both categories.
i already know that the mr-s will out handle the sw20 because its lighter and *correct me if i'm wrong* it has better suspension.

but what about body rigidity. is the sw20 chassis better than zzw30?
can you make the sw20 handle like zzw30?
i know you can make the zzw30 go fast, maybe even faster than the sw20 both track and drag.
pretty much im asking what is the better chassis?

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Pretty broad questions imo.
When you say the MR-S will outhandle the SW20, is that with both of them running on stock suspension or what?

Up to what degree are you worried about body rigidity?

You can make the SW20 handle like the zzw30, if weight is the issue then weight reduction, if suspension is the issue, then there are many adjustable suspension upgrades available for the SW20. The question is, why make it handle like the zzw30 if you can make it handle better with aftermarket tuned suspension.

How fast do you want to go?
Overall, people who push their cars harder on track prefer hardtops.

A question I have for you is, what is your goal?

·
Registered
721 Posts
I had an SW20 and my gf has an MRS the MRS could easily out handle my 91T. shes on full stock suspension and i was on koni yellows with eibach sports. Main reason being its lighter but on stock everything the sw20 feels safer in corners. the MRS needs alot of underbody bracing to feel sturdy at higher speeds. at speeds of 50 and under the MRS felt awesome way more nimble than my SW but at 80+ its scary lol. the sw20 felt perfectly fine doing 85 on a sweeping off ramp where her mrs felt like you might lose it at the tiniest mistake it gets very loose. im sure with coilovers and bracing it would feel like a train on rails.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
The MK3 MR2 does weigh around 2100 lbs or so the last time I checked. That's like ~500+ lbs less than the MK2 MR2.

So without a doubt, it could probably be made BLAZINGLY fast! ;)

Don't know about structurally, but I'm sure a roll cage and braces would solve the structure issue.

·
Registered
506 Posts
Ive taken my sw20 to around 140mph on a speed run. It felt stable to almost all the way. A bit of a shudder at around 130mph.

My Aw11 gets scary at like 80. Maybe even 70. It definetly doesnt feel stable at speed. I have no experience with the spyder. I hear its more like the aw11 than the sw20 however.
Cornering wise, the aw is darty in the corners and i like that. The sw seems to have the most options for making it do what you want.

My bottom line is stock for stock, i feel the sw20 is better ffor high speeds and the aw and probably the zz are better in the twisties.

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
Justin_sane said:
My Aw11 gets scary at like 80. Maybe even 70. It definetly doesnt feel stable at speed.
Maybe it's subjectivity, maybe it's suspension related, but my AW11 is both planted and predictable.
I've never felt uncomfortable at speed in it!

I've always enjoyed the smaller, more nimble car, and the AW11 is definitely that. The SW20s I've driven have all been faster. The ZZW30 I felt was the best of both worlds. It is faster and more nimble than the AW11.

The engineering of it also very much reminds me of a Miata. Things are positioned to be accessible. Hell, all of the body panels even come off!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
It's not hard to make one car faster than another.

It's much harder to make one car faster than another without sacrificing ride comfort.

It's even harder to make one car have as good "feel" as another, which in my book is why a stock car that performs well and still feels stock to drive is much superior than a highly modified car that is just as fast but has completely lost the smoothness or easiness of a stock car.

the sw20 can be made to feel much better than stock with adequate static camber front and rear and slightly stiffer than stock shock settings while still come close to stock ride comfort. It will never have the steering response or feel of a zzw30 though.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
djstarscr3am said:
I had an SW20 and my gf has an MRS the MRS could easily out handle my 91T. shes on full stock suspension and i was on koni yellows with eibach sports. Main reason being its lighter but on stock everything the sw20 feels safer in corners. the MRS needs alot of underbody bracing to feel sturdy at higher speeds. at speeds of 50 and under the MRS felt awesome way more nimble than my SW but at 80+ its scary lol. the sw20 felt perfectly fine doing 85 on a sweeping off ramp where her mrs felt like you might lose it at the tiniest mistake it gets very loose. im sure with coilovers and bracing it would feel like a train on rails.
What you're describing is all subjective impressions.

Define the parameters of your question better. I'm sure the ZZ does put out better numbers than a relatively ancient SW but I don't think it would do so "easily," on any performance metric. With subjective impressions you could be scared out of your mind, then swap seats with another guy and he'll tell you to man up because you're not even close to the limit.

·
Registered
3,087 Posts
I have a sw20 w/2gr swap and a zzw30
The zz is stock with just tein springs.
Sw20 has trd f/r sway, h&r coilovers, weight reduction weighs in little under 25000lbs
I got to admit the zz feels way better in handling, at least in my opinion

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
xturfoz said:
I have a sw20 w/2gr swap and a zzw30
The zz is stock with just tein springs.
Sw20 has trd f/r sway, h&r coilovers, weight reduction weighs in little under 25000lbs
I got to admit the zz feels way better in handling, at least in my opinion
The ZZW30 has better steering and chassis feel. I also have a 2GR MKII with Apexi N1 coilovers and a ZZW30 with tein springs and KYB shocks. I can't carry speed through corners as consistently in the SW20 as the ZZW30. Through higher speed sweepers and simple turns I can take both cars to similar speeds but through certain turns (decreasing radius for example) I can take the MKIII to higher speeds while feeling more composed. I can balance on the edge of oversteer easily in the spyder but I'm not confident doing that in the MKII. My MKII might be just as fast or faster through corners than my MKIII driven at 10/10ths with some tweaks to the coilovers but I don't have the skill or the balls to test that theory at anything near that limit. Both cars are on the same tire in summer btw.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts