MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since this section gets much less attention than the drag racing section, I thought i'd post something. it's sad that there only 1 active thread in here.

so this is basically recently uploaded footage of a bunch of sw20 and aw11 having a trackday in Japan land showing that the mr2 community is still strong over in the land of the rising sun. There's some good footage of sw20's sideways on the drift track.
enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lmy174o36Ds
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBUYyr-P78E

here's some more footage of the green sw20 on Nikko Circuit.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aq75tSGDk1g

browse the user's channel i'm sure you'll find some more you'll like :toast

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
How is it sad? Drifting is one of the worst automotive sports, only second to Nascar. It's neat and all but ridiculously dumb; especially in an MR2.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not need to call any car sport ridiculously dumb if you've never done it.

Everybody wants to push a car to it's limits when they drive it on a track, and drifting is just what that is. Just another form of doing so.

·
Registered
3,513 Posts
japsw20 said:
:rolleyes: driving a 3,300lb 800 hp car 200mph for 300-500 miles is dumb :rolleyes:
What are you even talking about right now?

Milo_101 said:
not need to call any car sport ridiculously dumb if you've never done it.

Everybody wants to push a car to it's limits when they drive it on a track, and drifting is just what that is. Just another form of doing so.
I'm not calling a sports car dumb, just the sport. I've ridden along with several drifters and even a RHD S13 and it takes skill to do, no doubt. But, it's still a dumb sport in my opinion, especially for a mid-engine car.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
H Swint said:
What are you even talking about right now?
I think he's referring to Nascar

H Swint said:
I'm not calling a sports car dumb, just the sport. I've ridden along with several drifters and even a RHD S13 and it takes skill to do, no doubt. But, it's still a dumb sport in my opinion, especially for a mid-engine car.
Each to their own. It takes skill (more like practise) to do it in any car, especially in a mid-engine car. Well that's the whole reason I posted the video, for the ones who view it to appreciate and enjoy the skills displayed by the driver who drift their aw11's and sw20's and have a good ol time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I enjoyed the videos, thanks Milo for posting. I've seen a couple videos of the "Sonic Boom" MR2 before but it is neat to see more MR2's going sideways.

On a side note I know a guy that went to a couple sideways schools with his Lancia Scorpion which is mid-engine as well, and he mentioned he added a significant amount of weight in the frunk to balance the car. Pretty cool they adjust the weight so drastically to make the cars handle better going sideways.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
either way its fun.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I use to think the same about drifting, i was always a road racing guy that loved having good grip and a great handling car, when i first heard about drifting i thought this was the stupidest thing ive ever seen to become any kind of automotive sport....until I actually tried it, It actually sharpens up your driving skill a bit for road race. just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
starletmunchkin said:
I use to think the same about drifting, i was always a road racing guy that loved having good grip and a great handling car, when i first heard about drifting i thought this was the stupidest thing ive ever seen to become any kind of automotive sport....until I actually tried it, It actually sharpens up your driving skill a bit for road race. just my 2 cents.
You'd be surprised how much better you can control any car after you've got some seat time drifting. You start reacting faster because you anticipate what the car is going to do next. In an mr2 that notorious snap oversteer actually becomes quite controllable.

·
Registered
998 Posts
awesome videos thanks!

·
Registered
3,185 Posts
Milo_101 said:
You'd be surprised how much better you can control any car after you've got some seat time drifting. You start reacting faster because you anticipate what the car is going to do next. In an mr2 that notorious snap oversteer actually becomes quite controllable.
This in itself is justification enough, for me... But I have to wonder if drifting was invented by tire companies ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Smurfcrusher said:
This in itself is justification enough, for me... But I have to wonder if drifting was invented by tire companies ;)
lol i smell conspiracy.

drifting is more about style than anything and was probably invented by accident, but w/ the right drivers and fanbase it became another racing category. it involves a fair amount of skill and driver control. most ppl dont realize how fast you have to move in order to achieve any real distance. timing and control need to be pinpoint as well. its also just as creative and challenging like any other form of racing.

i dont preferably like nascar, but i would never say that those drivers lack skill. i've never been 200+ mph, passing, dealing w/ drag/over winds or high speed malfunctions so i couldnt even imagine saying that nascar is "simpe" or "unskilled"

its preference on what you like. i dont drift as i dont have the money for the sport, but i respect and enjoy watching the guys who do.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yep. Every form of racing requires skill, and if you love cars, it won't be hard to enjoy any sport that allows you to take a car to it's absolute limit, whether it be during grip racing,drift,time attack or against other cars.
And since we don't do that on the street, people build tracks just for that. Pushing a car to the limit is exiting, and every sport that involves that is enjoyable by my standards.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts