MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
whats the difference between the sw20, and the sw21?

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
posted by BoostedPenGuin
sw20 = name for all mr2
sw21 = na
sw22 = turbo
sw20, sw21, sw22 are referred to the chassis code, all of them are MR2s, but sw20 and sw22 are specifically turbos, while sw21s are N/As in America

Eric

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
posted by BoostedPenGuin
sw20 = name for all mr2
sw21 = na
sw22 = turbo
You are correct

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
boostedpenguin has if right.

SW20 is the chassis code for any MkII MR2

SW21 and SW22 designate N/A and turbo models, respectively.

bill

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
Wow, thanks guys, I guess I've been misinformed this whole time. Thanks for clearing this up for me.

Eric

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
Hey Eric, good luck with your car. I was at Su's house last night when he fired up ur new motor for the first time. Beautiful 95' you've got, even better now!!

·
Premium Member
2,710 Posts
Is this really true? I go to Toyota Dealership ALL THE TIME and 99% of the time order parts for MKII MR2, they list SW20 for Turbo and SW21 for NA both on the computer and their books. Their computer doesn't even show SW22.

And this is from Toyota.

Su

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
That's odd. In the vin #'s it shows sw21 for NA and sw22 for turbo right? Then sw20 is the chassis code as is aw11 or ae86 right? This is what I have come to know.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
Originally posted by tvismr2
That's odd. In the vin #'s it shows sw21 for NA and sw22 for turbo right? Then sw20 is the chassis code as is aw11 or ae86 right? This is what I have come to know.

Again, correct.

bill

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
Originally posted by tvismr2
SW20 is the chassis code for any MKII that came with a 3S engine - this includes JDM and European cars with 3S-GE engines. In the US and Canada, these cars had a VIN with SW22 in it.

SW21 is the chassis code for any MKII that came with a 5S engine. This is limited to the North American NA. The VIN has a SW21 in it, and the chassis have a sequential number system that is separate from the numbering on the SW20 chassis.

Total production for the SW20 cars is around 80K. Total production for the SW21 is around 19K. Total MKII production is just under 100K.

Most people use SW20 to refer to a generic MKII, but this is incorrect since the SW21 was actually a different chassis (although no one has ever been able to tell me the specific differences between the two).

All MKI MR2s are AW11s....but the VIN for the NA was AW15, the VIN for the SC was AW16.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
Thanks David, that helps clear things up.....a lot. That makes sense now. Sorry Eric, I guess you were right.

·
Registered
2,489 Posts
posted by tvismr2
Hey Eric, good luck with your car. I was at Su's house last night when he fired up ur new motor for the first time. Beautiful 95' you've got, even better now!!
thanks a lot! I just picked it up from Su's house yesterday (7/17), and I'm already having a blast with it. Thank you for your generous comment.

Eric

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
Any time man. Thanks for the flex pipe. I picked it up from Su's house the other day. I've gotta have that welded in now so my flexpipe wont rattle anymore.

How's your car idling now? It seemed a bit high when it was first started, even after it warmed up. I wish I could have heard that thing after Su got the exhaust all welded up.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm getting a 5S-FE (SW21) so when I see all these parts for the SW20 it's completely different? I mean where can you draw the line with products that you're buying for the car? are SW20 wings and stuff unable to provide performance gains for SW21? or even fit? Cause I'm looking to buy some suspension mods right so everytime I see products for teh SW20 It wouldn't fit cause the Chassis is different, right? How can I find more products for the SW21 in this case? all the products seem to be for the SW20, augh .. sorry I'm a n00b , but I just need things cleared up ...

·
Registered
540 Posts
from my understanding of what i have read the chassis are the same so all the suspension and body parts from a sw20 will fit on a sw21. but the engine parts will be different (naturally). someone correct me if i am wrong. i just got a 2 but have been reading a lot about them.
that is all it really takes... the info is there. just gotta find it

·
Registered
180 Posts
alltracshoak said:
how come my bro mr2 chassis code is sw20 and came with turbo motor.not a sw22
all original 101xxx miles but vin says jt2sw22
from my understanding i dont see a problem with this. if the vin says sw22 it means that it is turbo? i believe sw20 was the chassis code. someone please correct me if im wrong. :angel:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts