• Turbo

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Tune

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all right so I鈥檓 a mechanical noob so speak slow馃槀I have a 1990 (almost) stock NA G Limited mr2 Auto馃槀 and well frankly want more power I鈥檓 just looking for advice from different people on whether if possible to turbo it or engine swap it or get it tuned if so what will I need to buy for each essentially I want more power but don鈥檛 want to break the bank also if you reckon to engine swap or turbo any recommendations would be greatly appreciated
Cheers Sam

Registered
You're not going to get anywhere with that automatic transmission. I'd suggest you save up money work some overtime and buy a turbo car, I don't think you're ready for an engine swap.

Registered
Hi Sam unfortunately you need to ditch the auto. The only way you are going to get more power that is actually worth it is to turbo swap it. V6 swaps can be done but are costly. Upgrading to a newer 3SGE is not worth the money. The only cost effective way to do so is to find a whole GT/GT-S that's been crashed and cheap and take all the parts from it. But we all know that the older cars in NZ have been thrashed to death so are all worn out. Might pay to save up like what @J.harris said and get an actual turbo car before the prices start going completely mental like the USA.

If you aren't too good mechanically then paying someone to do this work is going to cost you more than a whole working turbo car. Just in parts alone you are looking at $5k+ just to get the engine in the car and running. This ignores the gearbox issue and doing a manual swap even just to an S54.

If you paid someone you are looking at over $10k easily.

Tuning the 3SGE is pointless as you won't gain much for the money spent. New ECU, cams and exhaust plus a tune is going to set you back close to $5k and then you still have an auto box with long gears and a slow engine that is probably worn out anyway. I know, I own one and most in NZ are worn out and burn oil.

There are lots of options and some work out better than others. The cheapest way is to DIY with help from local people to teach and assist you with work and parts. Some parts unfortunately will need to be bought from the USA or UK depending on what route you take.

Spintec
You're going to get faster when you are a better driver. Last time I had my '85 at Buttonwillow Raceway, I kept up with an Audi A8 Wagon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts