MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been looking and had one I liked lined up in Florida but the seller has yet to send me video of the car running and he is busy moving. So I figured I would see if anyone has been on the fence about selling. I am really wanting to get a SW20 with black or blue exterior, black interior and t-tops, rust free and body in good shape. No rebuilt titles at all. If the paint is faded that’s fine, I have someone I can take it to that I trust. Turbo a plus but not a huge deal as I will probably do a 2gr swap on a non turbo. Budget is flexible, I am located in Savannah but am ok shipping from across the country so long as you have decent rep and history here. My wants are a long list I know but I have wanted a SW20 for a long time. Please no red or yellow cars

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
152 Posts
This probably will not help you much, however, this is how I built mine (I'm a bit of a masochist in this respect, however):
1991 Toyota MR2 package - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
I bought 2 very clapped out MR2 Turbos. One had a straight body minus the front quarters and hood but with a blown engine. The other had a slight rear end collision but an engine that started and ran well. With a bunch of top shelf mods between the two of them. It took me roughly a month of weekends to fully disassemble both cars and reassemble them such that I had one really pretty good car and one that probably should have gone to the junkyard. Fortunately, my buddy wanted the junkyard one and he reimbursed my entire initial investment and took it away.
So, you could say my car was free to me. I've since sunk several thousand into restoring it nearly completely. Anyway, good luck with your search but there is always this option.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This probably will not help you much, however, this is how I built mine (I'm a bit of a masochist in this respect, however):
1991 Toyota MR2 package - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
I bought 2 very clapped out MR2 Turbos. One had a straight body minus the front quarters and hood but with a blown engine. The other had a slight rear end collision but an engine that started and ran well. With a bunch of top shelf mods between the two of them. It took me roughly a month of weekends to fully disassemble both cars and reassemble them such that I had one really pretty good car and one that probably should have gone to the junkyard. Fortunately, my buddy wanted the junkyard one and he reimbursed my entire initial investment and took it away.
So, you could say my car was free to me. I've since sunk several thousand into restoring it nearly completely. Anyway, good luck with your search but there is always this option.
I saw this listing too and was considering it. The big downside is the wife. We both park in the garage now and there is no chance in hell she would let take on a project this big and park in the driveway that long lol.

How did yours turn out? Had to be a hell of a project but really rewarding

·
Registered
1990 MR2 Turbo
152 Posts
How did yours turn out? Had to be a hell of a project but really rewarding
I had, previously, swapped quite a few FWD Celicas to 3S-GTE so I had a ton of experience going in and a lot of naivete about how this was going to be essentially the same thing. It's not. Working on the MR2 has been much more challenging to accomplish the same mods/repairs.
But, I'm nearing the end of this project and prepping the car for paint/body. The chassis is everything I wanted it to be going in and the car runs very well ATM. T-tops are the best. I would do it again if I wrecked this one. Good luck on your project and your search.

·
Registered
4 Posts
What dose it mean when you car came with blue interior?I have a sw20 with a jdm rear clip and have been told it’s a original turbo model chassis…but has blue interior abs dash blue just not sure if that means it’s a na models

·
Registered
225 Posts
There aren't that many left out there so getting hung up on interior color might severely limit your options. It's work, but you can change the entire interior from blue to black if you want. Seat covers from MR2 Heaven, carpet dye, interior & vinyl paint with a LOT of prep work will pretty much take care of it. My interior is formerly blue and you'd never know it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts