MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I'm going down the rabbit hole of research into a 2GR swap for my SW20. Will the larger 93+ brakes be enough to handle the extra power that the 2GR brings? I don't want to chase big HP numbers out of the 2GR. I just want to leave it stock and as reliable as can be. Also, I feel the power upgrade from my NA 3SGE will be more than enough for my liking. I do plan to take the car to the occasional track day and while I don't need the best stopping power for performance's sake, I would love to avoid brake fade, boiling the fluid, etc. Thanks in advance for the advice!

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
Hi everyone, I'm going down the rabbit hole of research into a 2GR swap for my SW20. Will the larger 93+ brakes be enough to handle the extra power that the 2GR brings? I don't want to chase big HP numbers out of the 2GR. I just want to leave it stock and as reliable as can be. Also, I feel the power upgrade from my NA 3SGE will be more than enough for my liking. I do plan to take the car to the occasional track day and while I don't need the best stopping power for performance's sake, I would love to avoid brake fade, boiling the fluid, etc. Thanks in advance for the advice!
Im running 3sgte. Last year I upgraded to Wilwood big brake kits. It’s a huge diff.

·
Registered
194 Posts
The 93+ brakes work fine for me but in retrospect coming from an N/A chassis its much easier to source the willwood setup. 93+ Calipers, brackets, rebuild parts are getting very rare. If I was to do it again i'd go with the willwoods for the availability and future availability. Weight savings are significant also if you do the right setup.

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
What year is your car? If it is 92+ JDM then it already has those brakes.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
AlexW kit? Easy to install? Which options did you choose?
Umm no not AlexW, I got my kit from MR2 Heaven. The heavy duty set up with Parking brake. I wouldn’t say easy to install. I used YouTube as my guide. After installation, there’s a was a real bad squealing. Eventually it’s quiet now and clamping power is amazing.

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Just as a note, we can't install the big brake kits here with the parking brake mounted off the small bolts, doesn't comply with our modifying rules. So you need to make a new bracket to mount it off the main bolts.

·
Premium Member
13,649 Posts
Umm no not AlexW, I got my kit from MR2 Heaven. The heavy duty set up with Parking brake. I wouldn’t say easy to install. I used YouTube as my guide. After installation, there’s a was a real bad squealing. Eventually it’s quiet now and clamping power is amazing.
Way to support the knockoff artists.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Just as a note, we can't install the big brake kits here with the parking brake mounted off the small bolts, doesn't comply with our modifying rules. So you need to make a new bracket to mount it off the main bolts.
Thanks! Yeah, it's a 1990. I just completed a full upgrade to the 92+ brakes when I started getting these engine woes (always something eh...). I just wanted to make sure all that work wasn't for nothing! Sounds like I should be OK

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
Thanks! Yeah, it's a 1990. I just completed a full upgrade to the 92+ brakes when I started getting these engine woes (always something eh...). I just wanted to make sure all that work wasn't for nothing! Sounds like I should be OK
Ah yip. These brakes don't really give a whole heap more stopping power but what they are better at is heat dissipation so you don't cook them as fast. Good pads and fresh/good fluid is the main thing that helps. The track days you go to don't have long sessions to help stop people wrecking the brakes of road cars. They tell you, if something feels different, it is so cool them down. For the amount of extra money a BBK is for the sometimes track day it's not worth it.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah yip. These brakes don't really give a whole heap more stopping power but what they are better at is heat dissipation so you don't cook them as fast. Good pads and fresh/good fluid is the main thing that helps. The track days you go to don't have long sessions to help stop people wrecking the brakes of road cars. They tell you, if something feels different, it is so cool them down. For the amount of extra money a BBK is for the sometimes track day it's not worth it.
agree with you 100%. The original 1990 brakes I felt were more than adequate in stopping power. I was just a bit hard on them and would heat them up faster than I'd like at places like Hampton Downs.

·
Super Moderator
3,276 Posts
But to sort of answer your question, the 2GR is a max of 300whp and that's quite a common number for a mildly modified 3SGTE and they are fine with these brakes up to a point. Heat is always your enemy with brakes so keeping them cool is the main goal. They are bigger so can absorb more heat load and get rid of more heat faster than the smaller ones.

It's like, you subject a needle to a flame and it's going to turn red far faster than a 10mm rod of the same material. You get the idea.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Yes 93+ brakes are more than enough. It really depends on the pads you use.
let me know if you are looking for a set of 93 brakes I have them in my garage ready to sell.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
If you are going to 2GR, spend a extra couple thousand more Quids and go with Big Brake kits. I have BBK, I love it. My 3s motor doesn’t have the HP like the 2GR but my stopping power from the BBK is awesome. Plus they look amazing with the shiny 13in diam rotor.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts