MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys. Have had my SW20 for 25 years, 235K km. Car recently started showing oil leak on front of engine, after water pump and belt replacement. The camcover gasket was replaced then as well to staunch some more minor leaks. Does anyone know if there's anyone in Auckland NZ who really knows their SW20 MR2s?
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,036 Posts
By front I take it you are referencing the cam belt area or do you mean exhaust side?

Oil leakage around the oil pump is quite common. If I replace the cam belt I always replace shaft seal on oil pump and O ring around the housing. If it's not this then most likely its the main seal as this can be disturbed when pulling & replacing crank pully. If you are talking exhaust side then it could be the filter /cooler region but this generally remains untouched during cam belt work.

Best to reach out to someone on MR2OC for help as we have several club members in AK.

jimb

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, by front I meant the cam-belt side - I had to learn that nomenclature in other forums. Can the shaft seal, oil pump o ring and main seal be replaced with the engine in place? The car is also leaking in spots around the exhaust side of the engine.

·
Super Moderator
3,631 Posts
All that can be done when the cam belt is done with the engine. It appears this was skipped which for the sake of $50 is unfortunate.

Give the engine a good clean down to try locate the leaks. The distributor is also another place these can leak. I know mine does a little bit.

·
Super Moderator
Driving MR2s since '89
4,897 Posts
You can get oil-compatible UV light sensitive dye to add to the oil, AFTER you clean off the engine, in order to find the source of leaks. I had to do this after doing the cam belt and changing all of the seals mentioned above, including the oil pan seal. There was still a bad leak. Turned out to be the oil seal that's part of the head gasket (where oil flows from the block to the head).
This is not an oil leak you are happy to discover!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
JimKing, the oil seal part of the head gasket, is that on the camshaft side? Where was that leak manifesting? The shop who changed the cambelt said the oil leak was coming from the cylinder head (not the camcover, which got a new gasket).

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
+1, valve cover leaks in the right rear corner and leaks down the engine block to the alternator, oil pump area. Front main seal can be replaced in car, not the most fun but perfectly doable.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts