MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help me,

My 86 na wont start today, normally starts first turn of the key. Cranking just fine but no spark at plug wires, coil is fine. Plenty of gas. What else should I check?

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Blown AM2 fuse.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
i had this same thing happen to me once now that i think about it. funny, cuz it actually turned out that the main plug that goes into my ecu had come loose. it was just barely coming out.

took me a little while to figure it out, especially since i wasnt even working in the trunk that day, nor had i opened it in a week or so.

so you might just wanna check your ecu.
also make sure there is no moisture in the distributor cap.

·
Registered
35 Posts
check in the sparkplug valley. water there could cause it to run poorly or not at all, even just a little near the base of the plugs. did any other connections come loose? check the 2 green ones that come off the dist.

·
Registered
660 Posts
You could also check the starter wires, on my MR2, it wouldnt start the other day.I then proceeded to check the starter, and found that the connections were bad, but i cleaned them up a bit and mine starts fine now.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Yes, it could be bad. To test it, replace it with a known good unit.

Step #1: You have an electrical problem. Get a meter!
This is the "yes to all" flow chart.
Turn ignition switch to on.
Check that there is battery voltage at coil positive (+) terminal.
Check resistance of coil. (primary 0.5 to 0.7 ohms, secondary 11K-16K ohms)
Check resistance of distributor signal generator (pickup coil); ~160 ohms.
Check air gap of distributor to pickup coil (0.2 - 0.4mm, each point).
Check IG6 signal from ECU.
Replace igniter.

My :2cents: says that there's no voltage at the coil +.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
deemon113 said:
You could also check the starter wires . . .
Thanks for your input, but please READ the thread before posting. In the very first post it says "Cranking just fine but no spark at plug wires . . .".

·
Shadetree mechanic
2,499 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I've had the ignition coil in the camry die after washing the engine. No clue why, since it was the distributer, was still sealed up just fine and there was no moisture in it...

·
Registered
10,197 Posts
Before you run around with a voltmeter trying to diagnose things, answer this simple question, do you get a Check Engine Light when you turn on the ignition? If you do not get this light when you turn on the key, the ECU is not getting power. Check all fuses and harness connectors. A simple step before you start digging deep. If you do get the CEL, proceed with the others' suggestions.

·
Registered
369 Posts
can't start

everytime it snows alot or rains, i can't start my car.
It seems that I'm getting mositure around my distributor maybe?
KBOX wrote about checking the Oring around the distributor and something.
Where do I get this Oring if it's bad and what other problems can it be?
Can I buy rotor/cap from autozone or do I need one from toyota?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts