MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

currently have the blitz BOV on my rev3 tubby, it is way too loud and obnoxious.

anyone know of a more subtle one? Should I just put a stock one on? (Bought the car like this)

Also, I am going to decat with 3inch downpipe and exhaust soon - how loud are these cars in this form? <100db at 4.5k rpm static? Trying to make sure I get onto castle Combe :)

thanks

·
Registered
2,181 Posts
Depends on what you are after for sound of the BOV. You can buy recirculating or dual port BOVs that you can adjust the amount of air venting and recirculating.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Stock BOV is better for pure performance tho I guess? I have read they are better than any aftermarket one

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I’ve had a few BOV’s and they all seem about the same.. I had a turbo XS back in early 2k’s and it was so loud people would be literally in shock

·
Registered
162 Posts
Stock BOV is better for pure performance tho I guess? I have read they are better than any aftermarket one
If we are talking performance, no BOV is the best for performance. The stock one is fine as well though, you will not notice a huge difference.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I thought the stock one was a recirc and therefore less turbo lag and all after market ones were to atmosphere

·
Registered
162 Posts
I thought the stock one was a recirc and therefore less turbo lag and all after market ones were to atmosphere
I would challenge anyone to notice a difference between the stock and VTA. It is important to note that you cannot go VTA if you have the AFM, as you are venting metered air. If you are curious about not using a recirc or bov, there are plenty of threads on using no BOV: deleted BOV, compressor surge

The overall consensus is that it provides more performance (you can really tell a difference when shifting through the gears) without any real possibility of damaging anything. If I remember correctly the Celica did not even come with one from the factory, although I could be misinformed on this one. Anyways, really up to you. The compressor sounds without a recirc are glorious btw, just the right amount of noise.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
There is no better BOV... it’s job is to the turbo spooled up in between shifts... it either works or it doesn’t... no BOV is better for imo.. the response is quicker, but your right you’ll never tell a better BOV from one to the next ... maybe if you have a 6-8sec car then who knows... long ago I built a 9 sec FD and I had a few different ones... no difference

1 - 11 of 11 Posts