MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 91t with ct-27, apex-i intake, tko Dp and exhaust, greddy sidemount IC. When i get up to about 8-10 psi and like 5500 rpm the car loses is power and jerks slightly. I tried disconnecting the fuel cut, and i have all new ignition components. I did a pressure test, and i am positive there are no vaccum leaks... Im all out of ideas, so if anyone has any other ideas on what to check, please let me know.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check the flux capacitor resistor. If that is blinking like it should, you need to master reset with F8 in safe mode. After that I have no idea, it must be cursed. :mad2 Which I have already decided that it is...good luck jon, I'm goin back to Chico on thursday.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
What plug and gap are you using? (any chance you stuck Bosch platinums in there :( )
What fuel are you using?

Most of these types of problems come down to ignition, aftermarekt BOVs or vac/boost leaks.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, i did stick bosch platinums in there, and i started reading about how much they suck and such just after i did. I will be getting new plugs today or tommorow and trying it. Im using 91 octane, and i do have a greddy type-s bov... but i have checked for vac leaks. I had this problem before i replaced the block, head, and turbo, and i wasnt using bosch platinums then. I was using ngk's, which leads me to believe its not the plug, but im going to replace it anyway just because of the horror stories ive read about the bosch platinums, thank you for taking the time to respond jekyl, its funny i think i actually ended up with your fuel rail... i bought it from someone on the boards who said they got it from you.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
Bosch platinums work great for about 10-15 minutes and then they will start to sputter. :(

It's quite possible you got my fuel rail.

·
Registered
2,897 Posts
ohm out the coil and afm. when my afm crapped out i lost power pretty much when boost came on but sometimes it would happen later, give it a try.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
yeah, i can vouche for the bosch platinums sucking. i was having problems, and jekylandhyde asked me if i had those plugs in there, and i said yea. he advised me to get some good ol copper plugs, actually sold me some, and then it ran a hell of a lot better, and a hell of a lot longer than 10-15 minutes lol.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I would definately check for boost leak. I had the same problem and found a small crack on the bottom of the hose going to the intercooler. I changed all kinds of stuff. just check all your hose clamps from the turbo all the way to the throttle body.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I changed to new plugs, and they are gapped correctly, but still the same problem. Another symptom i noticed i have, is that my boost controller isnt working, i cant control my boost at all, so today i took it off and put it back to stock boost, but it didnt keep the boost at stock levels(6-10), it shot past 11 and then i hit the stuttering problem... so frustrating!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I didnt get your e-mail, and i did plug the fuel cut back in. I have now replaced my plugs, wires, cap, and rotor, and i still have the problem... how can i replace the coil? Another thing i noticed, is while i was doing my timing, i saw the little line on the pully MOST of the time, but every like 5-10 seconds it would dissapear for like 2-3 seconds... what does that mean? Help!

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
that means your timing probably isn't set right in the first place. the ecu is running its dynamic timing...you need to disable that by shorting te1 and e1 together in that little gray diagnostic box....then set timing to the 10 degree BTDC mark (towards the back of the car away from the zero mark.) also, make sure you check and set timing by looking between the IC pipes, and it helps to take off the engine lid side panel there. after tightening the dizzy down, recheck to make sure it didn't move.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I re-did the timing with the diagnostics shorted, i was about 3 degrees off, but i still have the problem, and when doing the timing light at idle, the line still dissapears for a few seconds every once and a while... How difficult is it to replace the ignition coil/ how much is a new one? is there any other ignition components it could be? could it be my actual distibutor?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts