MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 162 Posts

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
I measured and with a spacer between the strut and plate it could work. koni's have that stupid knob on top of them....it could be made smaller though if needed :)

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
MicaCeli said:
I measured and with a spacer between the strut and plate it could work. koni's have that stupid knob on top of them....it could be made smaller though if needed :)
What "stupid knob"? The white knob is not permanent, its just a tool to adjust the rebound damping.

(Set up is" GC camber plates, 85-86 R. Koni Yellow, in the front 87+ strut housing w/ machined Aluminum spacer. )

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #63 (Edited)
mtbmr2 said:
What "stupid knob"? The white knob is not permanent, its just a tool to adjust the rebound damping.

(Set up is" GC camber plates, 85-86 R. Koni Yellow, in the front 87+ strut housing w/ machined Aluminum spacer. )
:p I'm talking about the flat adjustment nipple that the white knob goes on. It's tall.

I can't see the pic at work anymore but followed your build on them. I might want to do something like that in the future.

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
MicaCeli said:
:p I'm talking about the flat adjustment nipple that the white knob goes on. It's tall.

I can't see the pic at work anymore but followed your build on them. I might want to do something like that in the future.
I did not have a problem with the flat blade of the adjuster.
Then again I got the GC camber plates.
(GC performed a cash extraction on my wallet)

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I don't have an issue with it now also But I want to throw the Plates on top of the tower and that might get me some clearance issues. I will look at your pix when I get home.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Nope not legal.

What I can do is put a spacer between the camber plate and the shaft of the shock. I loose a little bit of travel but end up clearing just fine. We shall find out this weekend.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Front's done. I cut out the stock spring perch (finaly, I know) and seem to have gained another inch of adjustability. I might not have to put the camber plates on top (although wouldn't mind it for shock travel)

Next is the rear.

Steve, what you said about level of the front and rear lower arms still hold true?

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
MicaCeli said:
Steve, what you said about level of the front and rear lower arms still hold true?
I assume you are asking about this statement?

XHead said:
So we need to set the control arm angle to optimize roll axis location and camber curve. In reality, its not control arm angle but instead the angle of the line between the inner control arm pivot bolt and the center of the outer ball joint. You can clearly see the front ball joint pivot is well above the centerline of the control arm. Same for the rear but somewhat less offset.

To achieve our previously stated geometry, we want the front virtual control arm (the line between the inner pivot and the ball joint center) to be roughly parallel to the ground. In the rear, the ball joint should be slightly above (maybe ??) the inner pivot.
If so, the answer is yes.

And I underscore again the difference in the "virtual control arm" and the physical control arm. The virtual control arm is the line drawn from the inner pivot through the center of the outter ball joint. This line is NOT the same as the physical control arm. The difference is significant.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
XHead said:
I assume you are asking about this statement?

If so, the answer is yes.

And I underscore again the difference in the "virtual control arm" and the physical control arm. The virtual control arm is the line drawn from the inner pivot through the center of the outter ball joint. This line is NOT the same as the physical control arm. The difference is significant.

-Steve
Yes I understand, the leveling tool awaits my return home :)

And thank you again Steve. I have a two day auto-x this weekend and will be able to test how the car feels.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Feel? Feel is subjective, its the clock is not.

One of the things you will have to come to terms with is how the car will feel. if you are used to stock class cars, or cars with big swaybars and soft springs you are in for something of a shock the first time you drive the car this way. While I can't speak to the feel of the Bridgestones I can for the Hoosier radials.

I don't know what you have been driving but the first time out with this kind of setup might be a shock. The amount of feedback is likely to overwhelm you. You are likely to be able to feel every tiny imperfection in the pavement. Every seam, crack, dip, gap, etc... I used to joke that I could run over a dime and tell if it was heads or tails.

It may take a few runs but you should adapt as you get acustomed to the sensation. Also, the car should feel more lively and precise. Turn-in should be improved along with the car's response to steering wheel inputs.

If you have any questions before then ask them now as I will be in Daytona for the Grand Am race Wednesday and Thursday. And if you are watching (Thursday night at 8:00pm eastern on Speed Channel) pull for the #26 GT Porsche of Gotham Competition.

I will eagerly await your report.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Well I'm done. Drove the car to work today. I got to say the car feels lighter on its feet. Turn in is very nice.

The koni's are doing a fantastic job of controlling the springs so the ride is actualy very nice. The tires help I think, even with soft springs you can feel everything with R-Comps...I know I used to run DSP.

Oh and good luck with the race. I will watch deff, all the real races get recorded in the house.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Just got back to the hotel. Nothing on but a re-run of Roadhouse....

Good to here you have it ready to go and are happy with it so far. Hope it goes well this weekend.

Yes, the Konis should be OK because the rear rates are really not all that high. And the lack of mass on the front axle makes it easier for the shocks to control the spring rates.

Good Luck this weekend.

-Steve

·
Registered
2,310 Posts
MicaCeli, did you keep your existing alignment settings or did you have to change them to compensate for the increase in spring rates?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #78
At the moment I am keeping them. I will see how the car does with them. Don't want to change too many things at one time but I think they are still valid, I'll see how much I'm rolling over and so on.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #79
Well I ended up working the event the whole weekend so I'm still tired at work :(

The car.....WOW it's fantastic. Seriously fantastic. I'm only limited by my driving now.

I will let you know after next Sunday how the car feels on a big couse, the one this weekend was tiny compared to that one but the car is just fantastic.

61 - 80 of 162 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.