MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'86 N/A, though from what I've seen of other models, the MK1 strut top bearing assembly's are all the same - or at least in principal ?
Anyway, what I want to know is if anyone has actually fitted new bearings into their 'old' housings. I see new items are pricey, so it's maybe worth the effort of buying bearings and fitting them. If it can be done..............
I know bearings can be bought reasonably cheap - I've replaced several on other 'bikes / cars, buying them from a bearing factors usually at a price well below (1/2 ??) the retailer's price.

·
MR2-less
9,855 Posts
Looking at the strut tops it looks like the bearings are sealed inside the metal housing and are not replaceable.
Here's a couple of pics of the TRD front strut tops I just purchased:

http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/kirkosaurus/trdstuttops001.jpg
http://img.ranchoweb.com/images/kirkosaurus/trdstuttops004.jpg

Yes, the OEM strut tops are expensive. List price is $94.54 although you could probably get them for as little as $70-75 a piece from www.partznet.com or www.toyotacountry.com . Even at the discount price you will pay $300 for all four.
I bought the TRD bushing kit for $230 which comes with all four strut tops. I then sold the bushings for a tad over $100 on eBay. That means I got all four TRD strut tops for $130. Not bad at all. I would suggest going this route if you really want to replace them and not spend alot of money.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Kirk's advice is solid! I bought H&T bushings along with the TRD bushing kit and sold the extra TRD bushings on ebay. Definitely the way to go!

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Will the TRD strut tops last longer than oem? I replaced my strut tops with oem from conicelli a little over a year ago and they're clunking again already. I do put 40,000 miles a year on the car and a good bit of that is driving fast over bumpy back roads. Still, I didn't think they'd go so soon.

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
Where do you get TRD strut tops and whats the part numbers?

Wish I'd know they were still available before I changed my springs and struts!

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Just wanted to set the record straight. My oem strut top mounts are not shot. Turns out this time the clunking/rattling was a front sway bar end link.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts