MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone,

I'm beginning to build up a stroker bottom end. I have already purchased a 5S crankshaft (from an ST184 Celica), and am about to pick up a ST165 (Gen 1 block) from a friend. Tristan (Flupstar) is going to be sending me Gen 3 main caps, but my question to you all is, what piston/rod combo should I be using?? I currently have a Gen 3 motor. I have HKS 272 cams/valvesprings, and will be using a GT3037 turbo setup. I intend to set my rev limit to around 8200-8300 rpm and shift at around 8000rpm. Would Eagle rods and CP stroker pistons be suitable for this?? Or should I look into getting custom rods/pistons made up.

BTW, strength wise, is the JDM ST165 block upto the task??

Any advice that you experienced stroker builders could give would be very much appreciated (RickyB, Flupstar, mister3, ATS boys).

Regards,

Jay

·
Registered
20,020 Posts
i haven't used the St165 block to know whether it will take the abuse reliably or not -- IMO the 5sfe block would probably be better suited to the task -- the EAGLE rods and CP stroker pistons would be quite fine for your goals -- i think at the 6-700whp level the rods will be the weak link.... possibly.......

make sure if you use the 5sfe block that you tap the oil galley in the block for a turbo oil feed line -- much easier this way ;)

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for that mister3. It's good to know that the piston/rod combo will support that much power, as I doubt I'll ever be making that much power anyway.

Anyone know anything about how strong the Gen 1 ST165 block is?? I already have one, and want to know if it will be upto the task.

·
Registered
2,311 Posts
The 165 block is a bad idea, not because of possible weakness but because the oil cooler setup is WAY different than the 2nd gen or 3rd gen. Depending on your HP goals you will want either a newer 5S block or stick with your 3rd gen block. Search the board there are several post about block selection.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts