MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 276 Posts

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Since there are no active SSM threads and I didn't want to intrude on the prepared car thread, thought this might be a good start for one...
Post your progress pictures, sketches, graphs, ideas, plans for this year (or next year) etc etc. Also links relating to this topic.

Quick list of my SSM related parts:

Power: 3SGTE Stroker roughly 360-390HP with ~350TQ
-CP Pistons (86.5mm)
-Eagle rods
-ARP head studs/rod bolts
-Cometic head gasket
-264 Intake Cam
-ATS Cam Gears
-Moroso 6qt. oil pan

Turbocharger:
-GT2871R Turbo
-ST205 WTA I/C with frunk mounted reservoir/pump

Fuel:
-850cc side-feed injectors
-bored fuel rail
-5-gallon fuel cell
-AN-6 fuel hoses/connectors
-255 Walbro external pump
-AEM EMS
-E-85 fuel

Drivetrain:
-TRD Clutch-type LSD
-CRW Axle Cages
-Clutchmasters HD PP with 6-puck unsprung disc
-Fidanza lightweight flywheel
-transmission with Camry shorter gearset and original MR2 FD
-5th gear eliminated

Suspension:
-DIY full heim joint control arms(3/4" heims) with aluminum
trailing arms (5/8" heims) (0.120" 1.25" OD tubing)
-Koni 8610 "race" inserts with coilover sleeves and 2.5"
springs (SA's for now, 8611 DA's next year most likely unless
I find a better alternative)
-18x10 with 315-30-18 A6's (for now, 18x11's next year) rear
and 18x9.5/18x10 with 285-30-18 A6's front
-custom adjustable front and rear camber/caster plates (more
info on these later, rears are done, fronts need aluminum
spacers for extra support) Similar to Randy Noll's design,
brings the strut top in and back from the original point
-Vmax steering quick steer gear (hopefully coming soon)

I'll fill in more later.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My personal SSM Autox build is coming along quite well, here are a few shots from this weekend's fabrication process:

Rear control arms are almost finished, did a lot of welding and adjusting...

And the final product, boxed with first coat of paint.

It's not your pretty tig welding but I think it'll work.

Most of the spacers are finally done too, can't wait to finish the trailing arms and put the pieces together.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
Those look awesome!

My plans for the year for my v6 are to work on the suspension

Thanks to your help I am well on my way

I also have a different seat and belt harnesses to install

Got my new wheel installed and did some legal removing.

here is the front condenser and associated lines

Wheel and airbag and other not needed harnessing

I also have the turbo engine lid i am going to paint and install without the rain guard since that is lighter. I have a spare trunk lid to that can be lightened up since that is within the rules to cut off the interior structure. What are peoples thoughts on that?

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Weight adds up quickly! We need to do anything and everything possible to get the car down to ~2400 (or as close as possible) Every pound matters, if I was able to get my old alltrac down to below minimum (yes, I was underweight at Toledo in 09, ouch!) then the MR2 should not be too hard to get down near the limit IMHO.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
walka said:
I also have the turbo engine lid i am going to paint and install without the rain guard since that is lighter. I have a spare trunk lid to that can be lightened up since that is within the rules to cut off the interior structure. What are peoples thoughts on that?
I have my trunk lid off and it's not very heavy at all. I'll need the full structure to support the big wing that will go on. You can cut out the inner support bars but I think there are other places for weight loss. I need to get me a bathroom scale so I can actually weigh things...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It was tough but it had to be done. The shell I bought is (was) in pristine condition, no rust at all, which made it even tougher. What a shame...

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Levi said:
haha oh man smg too, thats a rare color!
I know, it's a shame but this is racing... :)

On another note, few more shots of the progress:

Transmission completed, I got really lucky to find a mint donor camry trans, it was a low mileage trans that is in immaculate condition. TRD diff is in perfect shape also but still ended up getting a rebuild kit for it just in case.

Minor head porting (cleaning casting marks), bowl blending, mostly just a clean rebuild, nothing too drastic.

CP pistons from the alltrac will be reused after 3 full seasons of heavy autocrossing. These pistons are simply amazing. I learned to tune on these with heavy detonation the first year and they look amazing. This is a picture after I pulled them out, only wiped them with a paper towel. (E-85 fuel)

·
Registered
72 Posts
followed your alltrac build and i will have to follow this as well you do great work and inspire me to keep going with my autocross alltrac build as well eventhough i will never get in as far as you. keep up the good work

·
Registered
305 Posts
Good to see another real build for SSM since Randy's car is no longer in the class. I think Randy's car, despite it's lack of development, really showed there is a chance for another car besides the FDs. I guess it will take a proper build, at least a couple years of development and sorting, plus a damn good driver to find out for sure.

I have a Mk1.5 that I ran all of last year in SSM. It was a disasterous year in that I had major mechanical issues at every event I attended. I've been so turned off that I bought an ES MR2 and plan to take a laid back couple a years.

My car is not heavily modified. Is a Mk1.5 with a nearly stock Gen3. I have a Blitz ECU and run 18psi...thats it for motor. Stock tranny with an ACT light flywheel and clutch and OEM viscous lsd. I'm on 275s but am no where near my min weight at 2450lbs.

Over the summer I plan to go to a full standalone ecu and am thinking about what it will take to fit 285 or 315 or the rear...can't make min wieght so considering bigger tire. In end end I don't think tire will make a huge difference and just means more sorting. By Lincoln I really had the car handling as I wanted...just that motor would randomly not rev past 4000rpm :)

I'll be following you build and results over the year for sure. Good luck.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ryan, right? Not sure if you knew this is Martin with the SM celica alltrac, we talked for a bit at Lincoln (finale). Congrats on your ES purchase, hope you keep developing the SSM car. I think once you put more power under the hood and the bigger tire combo you'll be very happy. Keep us updated and post some pictures of your new ride.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
tigermack said:
Just wondering... is it needed to run a bigger oil pan?
The Moroso one is baffled with trap doors, it prevents oil starvation in hard right hand turns. It's not the size that is needed but rather the stravation prevention option. Two extra quarts helps with this also, the front and rear of the pan is "kicked" out to hold more quantity of oil to help with loss of it during turns... it allows more oil to come in the pickup area under both acceleration and braking. (from the extra sections added on) Bottom line, yes, it's needed if you want your bearings to last for a while. :)

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
The latest incarnation of my car in SSM will be with a 2GR this season. Trying to get the nerve to cut the fenders. Have a pair of 17x10 rpf1's I basically got for free so I'll try those with my 16x8 NSX wheels in front. Would like to get an e-manage to raise the revs. Here's the thread with the engine swap being done as we speak.

http://www.mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=411001
AutoX Video

Power: 2007 Lexus 2GRFE
Gouky headers, custom intake/exhaust

Fuel: Supra fuel pump
Aeromotive FPR

Drivetrain:1997 E153 w/LSD
Upgraded axle cages
Clutchmasters FX400 unsprung 6 puck
Fidanza Flywheel

Suspension: KW V3 w/custom spring rates

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
tigermack said:
Hmm, is the stock one that bad or just for an insurance? We might build ours for BSP so I am just researching.
Well, I nearly killed all four of my rod bearings during the Prosolo Finale in 09. I know because I had the pleasure of watching the oil pressure gauge afterwards in my videos drop down to nothing during the long fast sweepers. I purchased the moroso pan right after. I think the pan is a must for hardcore autocross/track people.

·
Premium Member
12,681 Posts
gtfour77 said:
Well, I nearly killed all four of my rod bearings during the Prosolo Finale in 09. I know because I had the pleasure of watching the oil pressure gauge afterwards in my videos drop down to nothing during the long fast sweepers. I purchased the moroso pan right after. I think the pan is a must for hardcore autocross/track people.
Interesting. I have been considering picking up the Moroso pan, but I did some searching on the forums and found virtually nothing regarding oil starvation on the 3S. I might have to put the pan on my short list of parts to get. Granted, I'm only running on sticky street tires, but even so it seems like good insurance.

·
Registered
1,268 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Very very nice! What kind of power can you make with that engine? TQ? RPM? I know nothing about those... :rolleyes:

hotnickels said:
The latest incarnation of my car in SSM will be with a 2GR this season. Trying to get the nerve to cut the fenders. Have a pair of 17x10 rpf1's I basically got for free so I'll try those with my 16x8 NSX wheels in front. Would like to get an e-manage to raise the revs. Here's the thread with the engine swap being done as we speak.
Power: 2007 Lexus 2GRFE
Gouky headers, custom intake/exhaust
Fuel: Supra fuel pump
Aeromotive FPR
Drivetrain:1997 E153 w/LSD
Upgraded axle cages
Clutchmasters FX400 unsprung 6 puck
Fidanza Flywheel
Suspension: KW V3 w/custom spring rates

1 - 20 of 276 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.