MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if the Beams VVT-I 4th or 5th generation 3sge is street legal.

I'm planing on putting one in my SW once I get the money, so I need to know.

·
Premium Member
22,915 Posts
depends in where you live. If it doesn't pass emmisions then no it's not street legal. Here in Kansas we have no sort of emmisions what so ever so it is street legal here. We don't even have noise compliance well atleast an enforced one ;)

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
Vindicator21 said:
technically no, it doesnt have an egr system
No VVTI engine has an egr, even USDM ones.

But no, its not legal anywhere in the US, since the engine is not EPA or DOT (or CARB in the case of California) approved. Whether your state will actually enforce that is another issue entirely.

·
Registered
6,507 Posts
Yep. Pretty much unless you're in a metro area that actually cares or the entire state of California, you're good.

·
Premium Member
1,802 Posts
Around here, they seem to not care, as long as we pass the emissions requirement of the stock engine. We have a 304 V8 AMC something-or-other without EGR or EVAP (we did leave the charcoal canister sitting there--maybe they didn't notice that there aren't any lines going to it), and as long as it passes the requirements of a 260 (or something like that) I6 with EGR and EVAP, they give us a thumbs up. It did take us like 7 tries to make it pass, but once we got there it was good to go.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
fosley said:
Around here, they seem to not care, as long as we pass the emissions requirement of the stock engine. We have a 304 V8 AMC something-or-other without EGR or EVAP (we did leave the charcoal canister sitting there--maybe they didn't notice that there aren't any lines going to it), and as long as it passes the requirements of a 260 (or something like that) I6 with EGR and EVAP, they give us a thumbs up. It did take us like 7 tries to make it pass, but once we got there it was good to go.
And how old is that AMC? I'm surprised you'd even have to smog one of them...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yeah that's about how my town is. As long as you pass you're good to go. Cops don't really enforce anything emissions related here, but every now and then you get one that does, but that's very rare

1 - 9 of 9 Posts