MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Not worth a felony in my book.

Who are these commercial sites? If the owner was able to provide the vin number to these companies surely they would perform their due diligence to avoid dealing in stolen parts?

the hagerty sales valuation tool says they are worth more than that.

Not that I would suggest suing your current employer but if thefts from the Boeing lot are common then Boeing certainly has some liability, no?
[/QUOTE]
The Security people are not Boeing employees. I'm going yo consult a lawyer, and try to take them to small claims court.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Criminals don't care which government level they'll be charged with because they don't plan on getting caught.
fair enough. fbi statistics for 2017 says 13.7% of motor vehicle thefts end in arrest per year. After 6 years of continuous thefts you will most likely get caught (1.137)^6.

Many 'businesses' could care less where they get rare parts from, as long as they can profit from them and not be caught. Most parts have serial numbers, but most aren't tracked. But as I posted, I'm suspicious that they'll even market these ones.
consumers have the ability to make businesses care. That is why I asked who these businesses were? I search this website, FB and eBay for my parts. If I ran a salvage yard I’d be suspicious of somebody who brought a pile of random, valuable parts.

Kinda like people who post a picture of 10 different catalytic converters for sale on FB. The walls are closing in on this group of thieves since more and more states have required recycling yards to document and report catalytic purchases and sales.

All in all, I think the OP will get a tidy sum from insurance and can then mull over the options. SW20s with all the trimmings like this one list from $15K to $30K. That's not bad from just a few years ago. I think we have the S2000 crowd to thank for that since they started this whole thing.
agreed. This is why we have insurance. I didn’t get your s2000 ref. Please explain.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Geico says that I have to take posession of the car, so it doesn't accrue storage or impound fees.
Does anybody have experience in this area? To me this is ridiculous, the car has no wheels axles or brakes.
I certainly don't want it in my driveway!

·
Registered
35 Posts
The shell has some value if it is intact and not rusty. Also you cannot get the bumper covers anymore and for original ones in good condition I and others are always looking for a spare just in case. I suggest you post the vin on this site since some of the parts toyota put the vin on. I would think the transaxle might have it stapmed in. Thjis part is also rare so if it comes up for sale and someolne is looking at it they can check it for the number. Put a quick picture of the cars interior and exterior condition on the sight and someone in the Seattle area will take it off your hands. I live in the Seattle area and people are constantly trying to buy mine. Please don't let then send it to the crusher.

·
Premium Member
12,675 Posts
... 13.7% of motor vehicle thefts end in arrest per year. After 6 years of continuous thefts you will most likely get caught (1.137)^6.
The way you would do this statistical calculation is to calculate the chance of escaping after N trials, whatever a trial is in this case. Those are statistically independent events, and thus the probability compounds exponentially:
(1 - 0.137)^N = P, where P is the probability that you would still be free after N trials.

It is not clear what "per year" means. Either 14% of auto thieves are arrested, period, or 14% of auto thieves are arrested within one year, or 14% of outstanding auto thefts are solved per year.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
The way you would do this statistical calculation is to calculate the chance of escaping after N trials, whatever a trial is in this case. Those are statistically independent events, and thus the probability compounds exponentially:
(1 - 0.137)^N = P, where P is the probability that you would still be free after N trials.[b/]

It is not clear what "per year" means. Either 14% of auto thieves are arrested, period, or 14% of auto thieves are arrested within one year, or 14% of outstanding auto thefts are solved per year.
Admittedly, statistics are my weakest math skill. I have only taken one formal statistics course. Neither of the formulas we offered are correct.

I can show you that the formula you offered is not applicable by showing you an example of it not producing a coherent result.
If I use N=10 years the result is 0.229
If I use N=20 years the result is 0.05
That doesn't make any sense.
An individual is NOT more likely to be free (0.05) after 20 years of commitment to auto thefts as compared to after 10 years (0.229).

My source for the 13.7% figure: Clearances

Perhaps, the probability of P(A) after N years is 1-[P(B)]^N ??
So after 6 years there is a 59% chance the car thief would be caught.
After 12 years there would be an 83% chance the thief would be caught. This assumes the thief is active every years.

·
Registered
69 Posts
You know this is what I love about the MR2 community. A warning about car theft turns into a debate about statistics. I’m very weak in stats and probability, but not too shabby at linear systems, so it’s good to know you’re all out there. Hopefully @sarnodude will leverage the experience he gained owning this one and come back with something even better.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
For the sake of clarity, I have ZERO intentions of buying the carcass back from the insurance company.
I already have a garage full of MR2 stuff that nobody wants to pay for, and shipping costs are legalized theft.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
I'd say $20K isn't bad. Considering I got just under $12K for a wrecked '91 hardtop turbo over 14 years ago, $20K is OK.

Keep in mind you'll never get back the extras you put into it. Insurance compensates you for a 'stock' MR2, not the extras (unless you specifically stated that on your policy).

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I'd say $20K isn't bad. Considering I got just under $12K for a wrecked '91 hardtop turbo over 14 years ago, $20K is OK.

Keep in mind you'll never get back the extras you put into it. Insurance compensates you for a 'stock' MR2, not the extras (unless you specifically stated that on your policy).
Yeah..I'm leaning towards taking it. Going to chat with my lawyer first..dude on ebay wants 55k for his...I'll take half of that.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
I am assuming you did not state a declared or agreed value on your policy? If that is the case you are lucky they did not offer you $5,000 to $6,000 because that is KBB & NADA value.

If you obtain a free account with Hagery you can access their valuation tool. 1993 Turbo's are valued at $20,500 for a vehicle that is driven regularly with minor flaws that can only be found with close inspection.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
I completely forgot that I was also offered somewhere around $15K for my deuce about 3 years ago when I had ugly (but superficial) damage on my front end (bumper cover, fender, hood, fogs). They wanted to write it off because the parts were unavailable. So it appears your $20K offer follows the price line.

FYI for those that care: I was desperate to keep the car so I proposed bolting on a replacement front end that I would source. That front end was sourced, transported, painted then bolted on for about $7,500 out of pocket which they then fully reimbursed me. So I saved my car and saved them 50% too. These crazy MR2 owners...

41 - 59 of 59 Posts