MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Sorry about your car man, that's awful.

In my older jeep I have a system that uses a hall sensor hidden somewhere that activates a switch to connect the PCM to the battery. So you'd have to have a strong magnet with you and know exactly where to swipe it to start the car, otherwise you're towing/rewiring things. Best I could find for a stick shift car, sold by ORO for Jeeps if you want to get ideas
I was thinking some kind of GPS tracker, like Lojack...still have to do some research.
I do appreciate all previous the suggestions though... I love the MR2 community!

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
^ Yeah, that's a great idea, maybe even have 2 hidden to relax the perp in thinking once they found one & destroyed it, they can relax.

I'm not sure if those parts garages where they strip your car have any sort of GPS shielding, but probably not - depending on how large the operation is. A GPS tracker will still give you enough time to at least see where it's being taken if you get on it fast enough.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Can't stress this enough, you want them to not steal the car in the first place. Making them take a lot of time and attracting a lot of attention is your goal when it comes to protecting your MR2. You want to make them think about the risks a GPS tracker by itself isn't going to do that after your car is already gone and halfway stripped down. Another tip, the newest alarm/remote starts out there have GPS tracking as an added feature, that would be a much better option than GPS alone.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
LoJack has a ridiculously high recover rate. I assume any gps enabled alarm would be just as good. LoJack is a one time $800 where as dei branded alarms are a subscription that cost $5 to $10 per month.

The apple air trackers have to be close to WiFI or Bluetooth connected to the internet to update their location. They do not offer real time position. The air tracker will also notify the thief after a few days because apple caved to the anti-stalking rhetoric in the media.

A two way alarm is a good defense. That way if somebody messes with your car YOU will be notified immediately.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So some nice individual stole my minty 1993 MR2 today from the Boeing Factory in Everett Washington.

It's 040 White with white and blue 17" Rays wheels.
Just got new registration tabs the other day. The wheels in the picture are my old Thruxtons. View attachment 82875

Hug your loved ones people, we truly live in dark times.
You ever locate this car?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
UPDATE:
They found the car. Nothing left but the shell.
Gone is most of the interior, the entire 2GR-FE swap, the doors, the E-153, the brakes, the Wilhelm coil-overs, my 17 inch Rays/Volks, the axles, my Greddy exhaust... and they rattle-canned it in black primer. The electric instrument cluster is still there, they were too stupid to realize how rare those are.
May God have mercy on their souls. Now I have to deal with the insurance company. The hits keep coming.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
Jeez, I was hoping I'd be wrong. Looks like your car was specifically targeted. How awful. Sorry, Bud. Unlikely these parts will end up on eBay, more likely they may sell them to a commercial site where they can't be tracked - sort of laundered parts.

But given the prices people are [trying] to charge for their 2s these days, I think you're going to get a good insurance settlement. If you're still enthusiastic, you can take that coin and buy another one. Believe me, the magic of this car is not exclusive - it's in all SW20s. You CAN do it again. I did, 4 times.

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
It is an oddly specific car to steal the drivetrain out of.
Well, that's exactly my point - sounds targeted to me.

Regardless, a lot of work is gone. But this happened to me too, not stolen but wrecked. And it's actually something to look forward to in creating a whole new re-imagining of the next car into something just as eye-catching & unique - or exactly the same if you want. This is why I own over a dozen guitars, each one of them built from the ground up and unique. I'd own a dozen unique SW20s if the parts train was still around, but that one pulled out of the station a while back.

·
Registered
4,661 Posts
I have a sinking feeling these parts won't be on the market,. Not to be cynical, but it's possible your fellow MR2 brothers may have stolen it for their own needs and not the cash.
Not worth a felony in my book.

Jeez, I was hoping I'd be wrong. Looks like your car was specifically targeted. How awful. Sorry, Bud. Unlikely these parts will end up on eBay, more likely they may sell them to a commercial site where they can't be tracked - sort of laundered parts.

But given the prices people are [trying] to charge for their 2s these days, I think you're going to get a good insurance settlement. If you're still enthusiastic, you can take that coin and buy another one. Believe me, the magic of this car is not exclusive - it's in all SW20s. You CAN do it again. I did, 4 times.
Who are these commercial sites? If the owner was able to provide the vin number to these companies surely they would perform their due diligence to avoid dealing in stolen parts?

I insured my 1993 totally stock with Haggerty. They gave me an appraised value of 16000. You can use them for valuation. Sorry to hear of the loss.
the hagerty sales valuation tool says they are worth more than that.

I doubt it. Not unless they turned up drunk or AWOL. You can't sue someone for being at less than top of their game.
Not that I would suggest suing your current employer but if thefts from the Boeing lot are common then Boeing certainly has some liability, no?[/QUOTE]

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
Not worth a felony in my book...
Criminals don't care which government level they'll be charged with because they don't plan on getting caught.
Who are these commercial sites? If the owner was able to provide the vin number to these companies surely they would perform their due diligence to avoid dealing in stolen parts?
Many 'businesses' could care less where they get rare parts from, as long as they can profit from them and not be caught. Most parts have serial numbers, but most aren't tracked. But as I posted, I'm suspicious that they'll even market these ones.

All in all, I think the OP will get a tidy sum from insurance and can then mull over the options. SW20s with all the trimmings like this one list from $15K to $30K. That's not bad from just a few years ago. I think we have the S2000 crowd to thank for that since they started this whole thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
So some nice individual stole my minty 1993 MR2 today from the Boeing Factory in Everett Washington.

It's 040 White with white and blue 17" Rays wheels.
Just got new registration tabs the other day. The wheels in the picture are my old Thruxtons. View attachment 82875

Hug your loved ones people, we truly live in dark times.
wow, that really sucks man. I am so sorry to hear this. But all the time effort and energy into something somebody comes along and steals it, EFFING A HOLES!!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts