MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some nice individual stole my minty 1993 MR2 today from the Boeing Factory in Everett Washington.

It's 040 White with white and blue 17" Rays wheels.
Just got new registration tabs the other day. The wheels in the picture are my old Thruxtons.
Automotive parking light Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Car

Hug your loved ones people, we truly live in dark times.

·
Registered
184 Posts
So sorry to hear this has happened and I hope your MR2 is recovered quickly and as you left it. I'll also say this 90s cars in general are extremely easy to steal without any added protection. I have an alarm / remote start with starter kill and removable steering wheel with hub lock. Hell I bought the hub lock and removable hub before I picked up the car. There's no way anyone shouldn't have the same with the prices rising like they are.

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
So sorry to hear this has happened and I hope your MR2 is recovered quickly and as you left it. I'll also say this 90s cars in general are extremely easy to steal without any added protection. I have an alarm / remote start with starter kill and removable steering wheel with hub lock. Hell I bought the hub lock and removable hub before I picked up the car. There's no way anyone shouldn't have the same with the prices rising like they are.
I assume your 2 is a 5 speed, how does “starter kill” helps if you can push start a Manual gear box car?

·
Registered
6,761 Posts
Unless it's parked on a hill, now you need two people to steal it? And it attracts more attention starting it that way.
They arent that heavy. If it's flat it wouldnt be hard to push it.
Hell, a technician pushed my Land Cruiser yesterday.

Also, Im not sure what's involved in a 'starter kit' and what it disables. It might, still, be impossible to push start it.

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
One of my worst fears happened to you. Have you reported stolen so the vin can be entered into the national database? I believe that the MR2 community is pretty tight. If I see any minty 1993 parts pop up I will let you know.

Was it parked at Boeing while you were at work?

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One of my worst fears happened to you. Have you reported stolen so the vin can be entered into the national database? I believe that the MR2 community is pretty tight. If I see any minty 1993 parts pop up I will let you know.

Was it parked at Boeing while you were at work?
Yes it was legally parked at Boeing in the W-5 lot where I always park it. Imagine my shock when I walked out of my office, only to find my car missing... surreal....
I reported it to the Everett PD. Apparently, people are stealing Ford trucks out of the Boeing lot, as well as lots of car prowling. Hopefully it gets found in one piece, and nobody gets hurt.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I assume your 2 is a 5 speed, how does “starter kill” helps if you can push start a Manual gear box car?
The car is wired up to never start unless the alarm is deactivated and has a backup battery in case thieves disconnect the vehicle battery.

So let's say someone tries to steal my MR2. First, my 2 won't start, both sirens are blaring, one obivous one hidden, then they'd have to track down the wires to even attempt to hotwire it. Even if they were successful with that (they are well hidden) they'd still have to get by the hub lock and lack of a steering wheel. If course of someone really wants your car they are just going to use a flatbed. When I used to install audio/security for a living we always told customers that the real purpose for security is to get the thieves to go on to the next car because yours is way too much trouble.

·
Registered
2,257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Wow - I would assume that is a secured parking lot (assuming it is an employee lot - which it sounds like). During the day? That is pretty bold. Any video cameras there?
Sadly it isn't secured...anybody can enter and park. No cameras, and yeah it was stolen in broad daylight. If you work there, consider yourself warned.

·
Registered
30 Posts
So some nice individual stole my minty 1993 MR2 today from the Boeing Factory in Everett Washington.

It's 040 White with white and blue 17" Rays wheels.
Just got new registration tabs the other day. The wheels in the picture are my old Thruxtons. View attachment 82875

Hug your loved ones people, we truly live in dark times.
Years ago someone had her MR2 first gen stolen twice in SF! IT was recovered but . . . .

·
Registered
4,659 Posts
Wow - I would assume that is a secured parking lot (assuming it is an employee lot - which it sounds like). During the day? That is pretty bold. Any video cameras there?
I applied to a gear mfger that had xtra security because they do work for the gov. The parking lot was not monitored. As soon as you walked into the door was a different story.

The ignition cylinder has to be ‘on’ for a push pop clutch start to work. Usually requires a key.

Yes it was legally parked at Boeing in the W-5 lot where I always park it. Imagine my shock when I walked out of my office, only to find my car missing... surreal....
I reported it to the Everett PD. Apparently, people are stealing Ford trucks out of the Boeing lot, as well as lots of car prowling. Hopefully it gets found in one piece, and nobody gets hurt.
I’m not as nice as your well wishes that the thief doesn’t get hurt. I will hope for an intact recovery, but did you have it insured for actual cash value (standard for majority of insurance carriers), declared value or agreed value? If it’s ACV the insurance company will want to offer you $5 to $7,000.

If you want help making the case that the car is worth more than that with the insurance company I can recommend resources. I’m in the process of getting appraisal and receiving quotes for agreed value classic/antique. With the value of these cars inflating everybody here should be doing this.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Sorry about your car man, that's awful.

In my older jeep I have a system that uses a hall sensor hidden somewhere that activates a switch to connect the PCM to the battery. So you'd have to have a strong magnet with you and know exactly where to swipe it to start the car, otherwise you're towing/rewiring things. Best I could find for a stick shift car, sold by ORO for Jeeps if you want to get ideas

·
Administrator
5,794 Posts
Unfortunately, a lot of these security measures can be defeated quickly using a flatbed w/ a winch and 5 minutes. Doubtful they'll employ that level of determination for a 30 year old car though.

I actually got lucky., very lucky. My car is in a garage that's too low for any sort of commercial truck, there's a camera on it 24/7 but that's mostly because the security office is just a few meters away. During the day, the maintenance crew are around because their office is right beside security. And they all know me too. I rarely enable my alarm.

At the office, it's the exact same thing: a pass protected garage and security people are literally right beside where I park - almost like he's watching over just my car. This is why the odd McLaren feels safe parking there. Just dumb luck I managed to swing this for the last decade.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts